quick sync and non-intel onboard graphics card

digity

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I understand Intel Quick Sync/hardware acceleration is highly recommended for Blue Iris. I have a Supermicro X9SCM motherboard that supports Intel Core i3 2nd & 3rd generation CPUs (which have Intel Quick Sync). The mobo has onboard graphics (Matrox G200). The X9SCM product page specifically says XEON CPUs with integrated graphics are not recommended, but says nothing about the Core i3s (which do have integrated graphics). If I do slap a Core i3 in this mobo will Blue Iris use Intel Quick Sync??

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In short...you have the wrong tool for the job. Slapping a i3 on won't initiate Intel Quick Sync as there are no Intel drivers for the video. This board was designed for server use and video requirements are minimal. The integrated graphics and subsequent drivers are Matrox G200 manufactured by HP - NOT INTEL - and is quite dated supporting only VGA resolution with a single VGA port on the board - no HDMI, and further reflected with the dated i3's. Even if you could get it working, don't expect miracles with an i3 - even current generation.

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Somewhat curious how came about that motherboard, and if bought recently, ability to return. Of course if you bought from a buddy of a buddy used and have some source for a used i3 that you trust, these figures won't apply. As I looked at the motherboard specs on Newegg, noticed the 'sale' price of $170 and an Ivy Bridge i3 midrange around $180 (Sandy Bridge even more in the 200+ range). That is a total of $355 for the combo. Now contrast that with the latest Kaby Lake with the most current Intel graphics. My personal build used a basic B250 chip Gigabyte B250M-DS3H for $70 (don't really need the Z chip for gaming or an overclockable CPU for a BI machine) That leaves you $285 for a CPU which would include virtually every i5 and is just $15 shy of what I paid for an i7. Not only is the Gigabyte the same micro ATX size of the Supermicro board, it also supports the newest 2400 DDR4 memory vs the much slower DDR3 memory in the Supermicro.

digity

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhh, Intel Quick Sync is possible through the drivers. Good to know.

The Supermicro boards were basically free. I picked up one for a light server I'm building, but the seller ended up giving away multiple. Would of been nice to use one for a BI powered NVR since the foot print was so small (they're in small 1U rack mount cases). Oh well.