Quick up or down recommend for a desktop..

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I need to replace my PC and Im looking at the one in the link below. 8 cameras and rare use otherwise. My old computer is an i5-4570 @ 3.2 GHZ. Available virtual memory 8.45GB

Heres the new one.. Any quick thoughts? I have a few TB of external to use with the new computer.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can get the same thing on dell.com/outlet for $450 maybe less and I'd feel better buying from dell outlet than amazon renewed.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Hard to figure how a 10th Gen PC would have to be "renewed." Seems like 10th Gen just came out for cripe sake. 2020.
It has a 3.5" Hard drive bay. Not sure what you mean " a few TB of external"
Screenshot 2022-04-28 225707.png

I still think my 8th Gen is all that and a bag of chips.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hard to figure how a 10th Gen PC would have to be "renewed." Seems like 10th Gen just came out for cripe sake. 2020.
It has a 3.5" Hard drive bay. Not sure what you mean " a few TB of external"
View attachment 126621

I still think my 8th Gen is all that and a bag of chips.
It's just a return they never refurbish anything.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You will want the storage drive to be internal to the PC. You will have problems if you use USB storage. Make sure whatever PC you get has enough drive bays for your desired storage, and room for an SSD for the OS.

Reaction score
I’ve recently been going through the same thing and here are my suggestions:

First, check Dell Work Outlet and Dell Refurbished. Both sites have their own sets of coupons that seem to change every Tuesday/Wednesday, and you can sometimes find additional coupons on dealnews when checking the Desktop Computers category and/or the All computer coupons category. Dealnews seems to publish a 50% coupon for Dellrefurbished.com every two weeks, and they just posted one this week.

Second, when looking at the Dells, always get one of the work/business models from the Optiplex or Precision lines. They’re easier to take apart as well as find replacement parts for.

Third, consider form factor. Do NOT get a micro form factor Optiplex. You can consider the Small Form Factor Optiplex or the Compact Form Factor Precisions, but they generally have 2 slots for ram, 1 spot for a 3.5” drive (or two spots for 2.5” drives), 1 spot for m.2 drive, and weak power supplies (200-300w) which limits what type of graphics card you can add. The mini towers and towers will give you a lot more room, options, and power to play with.

Fourth, if you’re curious about the technical specs of a specific Dell model, google “Dell model specs pdf.” For example, let’s say you spot a nice Optiplex 3080. You’d google “Dell optiplex 3080 specs pdf” and the top result should be a pdf that gives all the technical info about the Optiplex 3080 and the various form factors it comes in.

Fifth, try to find a desktop that has 6-core processor. Dell refurbished has 8th gen i7’s that have 6 cores. Dell work outlet typically has i5-10500’s with 6 cores. They’re on there, you just have to search. Also, the inventory changes constantly, day and night, so if you find a device that fits your needs and budget and you have an awesome coupon, use it.

Sixth, I swear I’m not a shill for Dell or dealnews. (I realize this is my first post and they’re all I talk about in it) . I’ve been going through the same search you have and I found these resources to be the most useful. In addition, the Dell prices are pretty decent (generally better than what you’d find on Amazon or eBay) and, working in IT, I’m used to working on those devices. I’ve been in places that used HPs and had issues with drivers, but that’s just my personal experience. Enterprise class models are much easier to support and easier to find parts for.

What did I wind up doing? After much searching and waiting, I picked up a Dell Optiplex 3080 SFF w/ i5-10505, 8gb RAM, 128gb ssd, Win 10 Pro from the Dell Work Outlet for $415 after taxes (coupon covered shipping and had given me a 15% discount, if I remember correctly). I missed some much better deals due to not acting quickly and also learning that Dell will not accept payment if your billing address does not match your shipping address (so make sure those match). Oh, and if you order from Dell work outlet, it will say you have to enter a company name. You can just use your first and last name.

Hope that helps!

* A quick edit to say that I’ll be upgrading the RAM in the 3080 I bought, as well as using the existing SSD for OS and adding a WD Purple drive in the sole 3.5” slot for Blue Iris storage.

Last edited:

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’ve recently been going through the same thing and here are my suggestions:

First, check Dell Work Outlet and Dell Refurbished. Both sites have their own sets of coupons that seem to change every Tuesday/Wednesday, and you can sometimes find additional coupons on dealnews when checking the Desktop Computers category and/or the All computer coupons category. Dealnews seems to publish a 50% coupon for Dellrefurbished.com every two weeks, and they just posted one this week.

Second, when looking at the Dells, always get one of the work/business models from the Optiplex or Precision lines. They’re easier to take apart as well as find replacement parts for.

Third, consider form factor. Do NOT get a micro form factor Optiplex. You can consider the Small Form Factor Optiplex or the Compact Form Factor Precisions, but they generally have 2 slots for ram, 1 spot for a 3.5” drive (or two spots for 2.5” drives), 1 spot for m.2 drive, and weak power supplies (200-300w) which limits what type of graphics card you can add. The mini towers and towers will give you a lot more room, options, and power to play with.

Fourth, if you’re curious about the technical specs of a specific Dell model, google “Dell model specs pdf.” For example, let’s say you spot a nice Optiplex 3080. You’d google “Dell optiplex 3080 specs pdf” and the top result should be a pdf that gives all the technical info about the Optiplex 3080 and the various form factors it comes in.

Fifth, try to find a desktop that has 6-core processor. Dell refurbished has 8th gen i7’s that have 6 cores. Dell work outlet typically has i5-10500’s with 6 cores. They’re on there, you just have to search. Also, the inventory changes constantly, day and night, so if you find a device that fits your needs and budget and you have an awesome coupon, use it.

Sixth, I swear I’m not a shill for Dell or dealnews. (I realize this is my first post and they’re all I talk about in it) . I’ve been going through the same search you have and I found these resources to be the most useful. In addition, the Dell prices are pretty decent (generally better than what you’d find on Amazon or eBay) and, working in IT, I’m used to working on those devices. I’ve been in places that used HPs and had issues with drivers, but that’s just my personal experience. Enterprise class models are much easier to support and easier to find parts for.

What did I wind up doing? After much searching and waiting, I picked up a Dell Optiplex 3080 SFF w/ i5-10505, 8gb RAM, 128gb ssd, Win 10 Pro from the Dell Work Outlet for $415 after taxes (coupon covered shipping and had given me a 15% discount, if I remember correctly). I missed some much better deals due to not acting quickly and also learning that Dell will not accept payment if your billing address does not match your shipping address (so make sure those match). Oh, and if you order from Dell work outlet, it will say you have to enter a company name. You can just use your first and last name.

Hope that helps!

* A quick edit to say that I’ll be upgrading the RAM in the 3080 I bought, as well as using the existing SSD for OS and adding a WD Purple drive in the sole 3.5” slot for Blue Iris storage.
Great information! And thank you for the detailed research.

Are you sure they will not ship to an address thats not the same as the billing? The account is based in one state but being shipped to another. :/

Reaction score
Great information! And thank you for the detailed research.

Are you sure they will not ship to an address thats not the same as the billing? The account is based in one state but being shipped to another. :/
Actually, you know what, I think I misspoke. Here’s how it went down:

First, my credit card had billing address in one state, shipping in another.

The first order I tried to place was through Dell Work Outlet. I placed the order and then received a call from Dell to verify my address. I verified over the phone. Next, my order was placed on hold because they couldn’t charge my credit card. I called my credit card company and the automated system said the CSC on the back of my card had been mistyped on a recent order. I called Dell back and they said they can’t modify the billing info on the order - all they can do is cancel the order and I can submit a new one.

Needless to say, I missed out on that specific deal.

For round two, I tried ordering a different computer through DellRefurbished.com. I figured I’d try PayPal to see if that worked, but it kept denying my order saying there was something wrong with the billing info. I’ve previously used the same exact info through PayPal on eBay with no issues. Again, billing and shipping addresses did not match.

So I wound up finally updating my credit card info, just to be safe, so that my billing and shipping addresses matched (as they should; I just moved and have been lazy in updating the info). I then found a new deal on Dell Work Outlet and was able to successfully order it and had no more issues.

All of this could be because I’m a lazy idiot that fatfingers info, or part of it could be maybe their system is just that picky. You could just give it a go and see what happens. Hopefully things go smoothly for you!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There was a semi-shitty acer XC refurb i5-11400 for $300 recently. Semi-shitty because it's it's SFF with a proprietary power supply and limited capacity for hard drives.