Quicksync Not working?

Reaction score
Hi, I've been running BI for several years with only few issues. Recently, I was curious about how to verify quicksync was working. Everything I have read where you can verify it's working indicate that maybe it isn't; however, I can't find any reason why it wouldn't be. I have a 12th Gen i5 12600k with onboard graphics. In task manager, there is no "gpu" listing for blue iris. In blue iris stats, there is no "#" under megapixels listed. For 13 cameras, my CPU is only 1-2% and GPU is 1-2% and ram is less than 2 GB. all set to continuous recording...so the load on my system isn't an issue, I'd just really like to utilize QS if I can. In the BI settings I have it set to intel, and under all cameras I have "hardware decode" set to "default" on all cameras except for one that I can't run h264 on. I've attached several pictures to verify my current settings etc. Please advise.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It looks like the GPU is being used a little.

But there really isn't any reason for using Quicksync/Hardware Acceleration anymore either.

Around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see errors when I was using hardware acceleration several updates into when AI was added.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, but the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU (internal or external) is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using hardware acceleration.

My CPU % went down by not using hardware acceleration. Here is a recent thread where someone turned off hardware acceleration based on my post and their CPU dropped 10-15% and BI became stable. A GPU is only needed if you plan to do a lot of CodeProject, which would be insane as most find the AI in the cameras to be more than enough.

But if you use HA, use plain intel and not the variants.

Some still don't have a problem, but eventually it will result in a problem.

Here is a sampling of recent threads that turning off HA fixed....

No hardware acceleration with subs?

Hardware decoding just increases GPU usage?

Can't enable HA on one camera + high Bitrate

Amcrest T2599ew Lagging really bad

Reaction score
It looks like the GPU is being used a little.

But there really isn't any reason for using Quicksync/Hardware Acceleration anymore either.

Around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see errors when I was using hardware acceleration several updates into when AI was added.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, but the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU (internal or external) is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using hardware acceleration.

My CPU % went down by not using hardware acceleration. Here is a recent thread where someone turned off hardware acceleration based on my post and their CPU dropped 10-15% and BI became stable. A GPU is only needed if you plan to do a lot of CodeProject, which would be insane as most find the AI in the cameras to be more than enough.

But if you use HA, use plain intel and not the variants.

Some still don't have a problem, but eventually it will result in a problem.

Here is a sampling of recent threads that turning off HA fixed....

No hardware acceleration with subs?

Hardware decoding just increases GPU usage?

Can't enable HA on one camera + high Bitrate

Amcrest T2599ew Lagging really bad
Thanks for the reply. That's super odd. It's got to be something specific to Blue Iris, right? In almost any other setup, QS is the preferred options for video processing (encoding/transcoding). With my Plex media server it was day and night difference in favor of QS. I guess I can just turn them all back off to no HA

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't agree that the blanket statement that QS isn't needed.
I for one find that using QS, does lower CPU usage, and thus reducing power consumption.
This is evident on the two BI systems I manage. One system is an i7-7700, other is a i5-8500.
On my two systems it reduces power consumption by 40%- 50% on average.
So, you need to try it, put a power meter on your machine, and measure the difference.