Rackmount computer recommendations

Donut17

n3wb
Reaction score
The holidays are here and I have some free time to tinker. I currently have an HP Elitedesk 800 G2 SFF, 8G Ram, Windows 10 Pro, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (windows and BI), WD 6TB purple, dual NIC (onboard + Intel Gb add in card) monitoring 14 cameras. I’m thinking about trying to move the internals to a 2U rackmount case to clean up my workspace. Yes I may have to customize a little to make it fit. My rack has room for a 4U case but I may pick up a rackmount UPS down the road so I’m trying to conserve space. Alternatively, I may just build a 2U server from scratch which could get a little expensive.

Before I do this I thought I would see if there are any other used server options or ideas I should look into first.

Thanks in advance!

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Unless you have money to blow, I would suggest getting a rack shelf and putting the computer on it instead of using a rackmount computer case. As long as get a rack shelf that isn't solid but has air flow holes in it, and you pay attention to the air flow needs of the case, you can usually turn them on their sides and effectively have a 4-6U size computer. Or if you are like me and have multiple computers, just stand them up normally on the shelf next to each other. I have three computers (BI, home automation/SageTV server, and pfSense firewall appliance) sitting on the same shelf. Sure they are taller than a single rack case, but they aren't taller than 3x 4u cases stacked on top of each other.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Isn't the Elitedesk pretty small and compact already? I'm not current on U's..... but I think My G4-800 SFF is sitting on a 3U or maybe a 4U shelf.