Random Dahua questions

vyolette

n3wb
Reaction score
Good evening,

I've been reading this forum for weeks now and have ended up with my entire nvr/camera system consisting of Dahua NVR w/PoE Cameras, and a managed PoE switch. As a fellow IT person, I followed the Network Engineers advice ;) My system is not installed outside just yet, but in test phase indoors.

To cover the basic entry points and smaller areas, I have some shorter distance specific:
2.8, 3.6, & 6mm
2 x HDW1320SP
2 x HDW4431C-A
2 x SD29204S-GN

Now I need to go further!

I'm trying to figure out a few things so i make the right decisions. I need a PTZ due to a crazy & criminal neighbor. Watching my 4x pointed at him the past 3 days, I've already seen some bad things. I am looking to get a cam with a zoom of at least 20x optical (my 4x doesn't quite have the zoom reach I need which is less than a football field).

Is this any good:
http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/sd59220t-hn-1279.html
Does this have any sort of autotracking? If someone walks into my yard, can it follow them or zoom in on them? If not, what would you recommend?
Budget is a concern for me but I don't want to throw my money away on junk.

I'm also looking for a good 12mm 4mp day/night, but will never get real wet (maybe rain mist, if its lucky) or see sun in its location. Depending on price, a weather proof over 12mm.

All of my cameras have PoE on the connector but they also have an audio port. Is that for speakers that need to be powered?

I set up motion detection alarms and got a ton of emails from the wind blowing, I assume that's adjustable somewhere? Is there a good place to learn more detailed info about the alarm functions?

Thank you so much!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That 20x is good, but no auto tracking on it. I don't know if there is a particularly cost-effective auto-tracking model.

I don't know what to tell you for a 12mm lens. I'm probably wrong about this but I think 6mm is the largest you can get from the factory with most Dahua 4MP models. 3rd party lenses are a whole can of worms that I don't have any recent experience with.

The audio port is most likely for a microphone. Unless that is built in to the camera. External speakers and microphones do need to be powered, typically with 12 volts.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
For motion detection, I wish I had a good answer for you, besides obviously masking off the areas that don't need to be watched for motion. I don't use Dahua's built-in motion detection but maybe they have some smarter features that involve object tracking or line crossing, so it won't be as likely to trigger a recording from random noise like shadows moving along the ground.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the older 12x version of that PTZ.. Autotracking, no and you dont want it anyhow.. but it does have 2 alarm inputs you can hook to sensors as I have demonstrated in the video attached... and your NVR has more alarm inputs and you can use Linecross/Intrusion detection on your cameras to trigger your PTZ to check out a preset via the NVR.

Audio is for hooking up external microphones, if it has audio output dont worry about it it dont work for shit..

Built in motion detection is not suitable for alarms, if you manage to tune out the wind blowing you will also tune out most criminals.. its only there to save disk space when the image is not moving or flag events on a timeline so you dont have to watch hours of footage at high speed to find 20s of activity... its far from suitable for notifications, you should just shut that off unless you setup mail filters to mark as read and put in a folder.. then it works as decent offsite storage for snapshots.

Kitsap

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You might want to look again at what appears to you to be an audio port. In some cases it is a 12 VDC connection for an external power supply for use when a non-POE data connection is used. See attached from a white box DH-SD22204T-GN.

Attachments

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@nayr does the dahua ptz u own have settings so that if I want preset 1 all day then it automaticlly goes to preset 2 at lets say 9pm? Some sort of timer I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no it does not, I do this externally via API calls..

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm also looking for a good 12mm 4mp day/night, but will never get real wet (maybe rain mist, if its lucky) or see sun in its location. Depending on price, a weather proof over 12mm.
One way to get 12mm is this IPC-HDBW5421E-Z. It's a motorized vari-focal lens. (2.8mm - 12mm) Price probably won't be very cost effective for your budget.

vyolette

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your input and answers! My cameras are all set up around the house and everything seems to be doing as expected except for one of my cameras doesn't like to stay functional. It seems like it will work for a period of time and then just drop out!? It worked fine when I got it, until I took it outside and set it up. I thought the problem was the cable but I ended up bringing it back inside with a different cable and it still has the same issues.

I found a 12mm on Aliexpress that was $79 which was way more cost effective than the motorized vari-focal but that sure is a nice camera!

I was completely wrong about the cable end, not audio, but power. duh! lol.

Thanks Nayr for the sample videos. I now have a better understanding of how the PTZ works and how I might set mine up to operate. I can see auto tracking might be a bad thing, especially if multiple people are on your property. I went ahead and purchased the 20x, that thing is heavy! It will be installed tomorrow.

I'm really glad I've got cameras up, being threatened by your neighbors is no fun. There's some really bad people living behind me and in that neighborhood.

I need to start paying more attention to what I do and say around the cameras though, I might embarrass myself if I have to take the hard drive to the cops, haha!

Thanks again, I've learned a lot here.