random frame dropping and choppy recordings

Björn0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I don't know since when exactly but in the last time I often noticed that I have this yellow exclamation mark in the camera view in Blue Iris and when I check the Blue Iris Status Window, I can see that the frames of the cameras mainly the one with the description "Terasse-Wald" are dropping and not equal with the setting on the camera it self. This results in choppy playback and recording and even frames that get lost.
I've searched already a lot but I didn't found something in the forum that could be the reason especially because the problem is randomly.
My PC running Blue Iris is not overloaded, there are only 3 cameras running. No sub streams configured as the system is not really utilized.
The only thing I find a bit strange is the behavior of the network bandwidth, which in my opinion should be relatively constant, especially since my cameras have a fixed bit rate ?
Hardware Acceleration is turned off because I had problems with it a long time ago.

I just can't figure out what it is, sometimes it runs for hours/days without problems. For a moment I thought it was my POE switch (NETGEAR GS116LP) because once after a reboot I noticed an improvement but not for long time also reboots of a concerned camera only not always resolve the problem. Everything is connected to the same Switch together with my other home devices and I don't think the switch is overloaded.
Maybe someone has an idea what else I could try, I'm getting desperate that it's costing me a lot of time and at the moment I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off with an NVR where I actually find Blue Iris a good software and it's not even certain that Blue Iris is the problem.

Blue Iris Version 5.8.0.14

If any other details are needed, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

Björn0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd log into all cams and change video encoding from H.265 to H.264.
Thank you very much for this hint, this has indeed solved the problem with the frame rate fluctuations but I still wonder why you can select H.265 in the camera if it doesn't work properly ? Is this a Hikvision problem ? Especially when you consider that with H265 you use less bandwidth and can save disk space then this is still a big step backwards which disappoints me a little.
Then I'll probably say goodbye to Hikvision for my next cameras even though I thought it was a good brand.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just because it offers H265 doesn't mean it processes it efficiently.

Most of us here use H264 regardless of who makes the camera.

Real world situations show that few actually get a storage savings and further, the macroblocking of H265 can be problematic, along with issues with VMS systems.

See this thread for more reasons why H264 is generally better: