Random, I mean random spikes on CPU usage

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

BI 5
33 cameras mostly 6mp and 8 mp

On my high end rigs , top of line Intel cpus 19 10980 types never get above 30% cpu usage

On a older circa 2014 intel i7 5960x with ssd hd and 32 gb , same amount of cameras I can be hovering one day, all day at around 40-60% utilization

Then another day, 98-100% utilization for most of the day with NO other activity on PC

I do not understand the randomness of it and yes I limited preview fps to 2FPS as well, no difference

Any ideas as to why?

High bandwidth on internet side so that’s not an issue

Thanks

Jeff

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you enabled sub streams? Have you optimized the machines using all the techniques outlined in the Wiki? What are the video loads as reported by Blue Iris in the status window, cameras page on each machine? Does one machine have more views "outside" with lots of moving leaves/shadows?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
CPU usage will go up with motion and lots of triggers. So a windy day with leaves flying around can cause that. Are you using DeepStack and if so, on how many of the cameras.

Have you done EVERY optimization in the wiki? Substreams are a must.

Please post a screenshot of the BI camera status that shows things like the FPS, bitrates, KEY, etc.

As updates happen to the computer, BI, more electronics added in a house, interference, IoTs added, etc., it is critical to be streaming out the lowest amount possible as BI video stream doesn't buffer like Netflix.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
No, I'm looking for the total throughput on the bottom left of that screen on both machine and preferably when the i7 is spiking.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We need to see the whole thing, (seeing IP addresses doesn't compromise anything ), but I can tell you are not using substreams. Do that and you will be down in the single digit on the 10th gen and teens for the 5th gen.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do EVERYTHING in the wiki I linked and you will be fine.

A member here runs 50 cameras on a 4th gen at 30% CPU because of the substreams option.

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We need to see the whole thing, (seeing IP addresses doesn't compromise anything ), but I can tell you are not using substreams. Do that and you will be down in the teens on the better machine.

Excuse my ignorance, where do i enable substreams ?, Each camera on its setup server page has substreams enabled

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, surprised you haven't had problems before now. You are at 1700 MP/s and according to the wiki, for loads greater than 1500 MP/s, all bets are off. In my experience you will be running up against the limits of dual channel DDR4 memory bandwidth.

Look at the wiki I linked. It shows you how to enable the substreams. It is in BI under each camera setting.

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just changed many cameras in BI with the enabling of substreams, also attached camera setup page with substream enabled, no difference, still 100%

Thanks for all advice

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have it enabled in the camera but not in BI.

That image doesn't show the substream being used. And it will have to be done for each camera.

The white block is blank - you need to now select the pull down and have it populate all the text like you see in the mainstream above.

Something like this:

1639851938983.png

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
In the screenshot above click on the option Sub to get a drop down list and select the substream that you have enabled in the cam.

If the live video disappears then select the other from the drop down until you get a live stream.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And how you are not missing any motion having the FPS at 10FPS and iframes at 120? Any object that is in and out of the frame in less than 12 seconds could be missed in that setup.

Iframes and FPS need to match.

Blue Iris developer's recommendations:

• The i-frame interval should be equal to the frame rate (for best responsiveness and stability).
  • The i-frame interval should be not higher than double the frame rate (if improved compression efficiency is required).
  • The main stream and sub stream should have the same frame rate and i-frame interval.

I hate to be blunt, but your system needs some serious help. No wonder you have problems.

Last edited:

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Done CPU Usage down

CPU usage is down, but preview rectangle is blurry

When I double click to go full screen it starts out blurry then gets back to its ultra sharpness. Normal?Also, recordings and time lapse, recorded at main stream quality?

Again, thank you, suppose the tradeoff is lower rez little preview windows

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, the drawback is lower rez in multi-cam view, but with 33 cameras, you shouldn't notice it appreciably.

You can always see the high rez by going single cam. That lag going from substream to mainstream is in part due to your FPS and iframes not matching.

With substreams, you have the option to record 24/7 where non trigger is substream and when triggered it goes to mainstream.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Done CPU Usage down

CPU usage is down, but preview rectangle is blurry

When I double click to go full screen it starts out blurry then gets back to its ultra sharpness. Normal?Also, recordings and time lapse, recorded at main stream quality?

Again, thank you, suppose the tradeoff is lower rez little preview windows
Read the Blue Iris help file that is included, it's all explained there.