Random No Link for long periods

Loofer

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi folks, I have a DS-7604NI-K1-4P with Hikvision Turret camera & Hi Look Dome camera.

Occasionally and completely randomly, the Live View will just stay on No Link and the Camera menu won't 'see' the cameras as being Online.
They're both connected via POE with cable that's up to 10m long.
Even rebooting NVR doesn't see them but then some days randomly it will connect again.

What could be the issue?
1629380819712.png

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Loofer, not sure if you have done this, but I would go for basic fault finding 101

1) Have a constant ping running to one of the IP addresses of the cameras and when the you loose connection see if you are getting ping replies.. As that would point to connectivity issue between the POE switch / camera
2) If possible, take one of the cameras from its location and connect it direct to the POE switch and leave it running for some time, if it drops again then you may be looking at switch / camera issue (can your POE switch power all these cameras for example) if it works without issue then you are looking at a cable issue.
3) Try powering your camera direct from a power source if possible to see if its a POE power issue

I'm just giving you basic ideas, I could go into more detail but don't know your IT level.

Loofer

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Loofer, not sure if you have done this, but I would go for basic fault finding 101

1) Have a constant ping running to one of the IP addresses of the cameras and when the you loose connection see if you are getting ping replies.. As that would point to connectivity issue between the POE switch / camera
2) If possible, take one of the cameras from its location and connect it direct to the POE switch and leave it running for some time, if it drops again then you may be looking at switch / camera issue (can your POE switch power all these cameras for example) if it works without issue then you are looking at a cable issue.
3) Try powering your camera direct from a power source if possible to see if its a POE power issue

I'm just giving you basic ideas, I could go into more detail but don't know your IT level.
thanks Cyberwolf.
I’ve tried pinging with cmd but no joy. Times out.
The NVR itself is a POE enabled.
The camera appears to be drawing power (port 1 & 2 in pic)
F36A5833-C2C0-4747-91FB-2502941481DB.jpeg

Last edited:

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When you ping the camera you need to be on the same subnet... For example if your PC is on 192.168.1.x and you ping your camera that is on 192.168.10.x it will time out (unless you have some VLAN's and Firewall rules setup)
If your cameras are powered from the POE of the NVR and from what I can see you are running <4w that shouldn't be the issue unless you have a hardware issue with the POE power regulator on the NVR.
Have you tried the new cable and or powering the camera from an 12v power source?

Loofer

n3wb
Reaction score
When you ping the camera you need to be on the same subnet... For example if your PC is on 192.168.1.x and you ping your camera that is on 192.168.10.x it will time out (unless you have some VLAN's and Firewall rules setup)
If your cameras are powered from the POE of the NVR and from what I can see you are running <4w that shouldn't be the issue unless you have a hardware issue with the POE power regulator on the NVR.
Have you tried the new cable and or powering the camera from an 12v power source?
I ahven't.
I'll have to take cameras down this weekend to test that.

thanks for pointing out re subnet. They were indeed on different networks.