Rasberry Pi Project - Raspbian compatability and license question

jdub87

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a question about a project I am interested in trying out. I do not own BI as of yet but I had planned on getting it in the near future for a simple cctv setup at my house using my computer as a DVR.

My project I am looking into is setting up a front and rear facing cctv setup for my car. I would like to use a rasberry pi possibly with raspbian as the OS with BI installed to record the images. I then plan on having a wifi dongle on the pi to auto connect to my home wifi and trigger an FTP session to download all of my recorded video when I come home.

My questions are:

1. A). I did a quick search on the forum for rasberry pi and the only thing I found was a post saying you can not run BI on rasberry pi from 2 years ago. Is anyone aware of the compatibility for BI and linux, specifically raspbian?

B). Or is there a possibility for a demo version to be downloaded of BI to test this out?

2. How many devices can you install BI on? I would not like to have to buy BI twice one for my home and a second for my car dvr project.

I appreciate any input anyone can provide.

Thank you

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1) a) BI is for Windows only and cannot be installed onto a pi
b) You can download BI directly from BI's website and has a 14 day trial period before you have to purchase a license
2) The standard license allows for the user to install on 1 machine. An additional license is needed for any additional installs

jdub87

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, I started looking at other programs that will run on linux for this project.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you buy cameras that can store video remotely (via NAS share or FTP or whatever) then you should be able to simply use the pi as a NAS which should be a lot easier than trying to make it an NVR.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
2. How many devices can you install BI on? I would not like to have to buy BI twice one for my home and a second for my car dvr project.
If you buy blue iris you can email the developer and he will give you a code for half off the second license.