Raspberry as storage for my videos

nikki

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
I am going to have following construction:
Ip cam connected to internet.
At home: raspberry connected to internet. Hard drive connected to raspberry.
If i use ispy on raspberry will it be able to store everything?
I want to use 3 cameras o more :D
And record everything

What do u think.
What do you recommend me ?

Thank you!

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The raspberry runs a version of debian so ispy wouldn't work. Raspberries don't have much processing power either, so youll run into issues on that end quickly, I/O is also limited with everything going though a usb 2 chip.

nikki

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok thank you.
.and what do u think about a tablet for this issue?
Would a raspberry work as a ftp server connected to the cams?
Or is it also to slow?

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are a few You Tube clips of people using them as NVRs - I can't remember the name of the software but it's definitely not iSpy. I'm not sure how successful they have been. They would probably be ok for recording and storing alerts but I wouldn't think they would be fast enough to write to an HD as they don't have SATA. You could look at the Orange Pi Plus which has SATA and a quad core 1.6 ghz processor and is only $US39. You would probably be able to run Zone Minder on it.

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I should have added I do actually use one for grabbing images from my 6 cams every minute and ftping them offsite. I use a custom Pythn script to do this and it handles this without a problem.

T1NYW

n3wb
Reaction score
Would you mind sharing your setup / scripts ?
is this a dedicated Pi just for this use ?

im thinking of using one, to capture motion captures and photos, then using Google photos, to back these up off site for free.

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As a ftp server it should be fine.

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll post them up later when I get home from work. The Pi does a few other things as well - it monitors my network and alerts me when there are problems.

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll post them up later when I get home from work. The Pi does a few other things as well - it monitors my network and alerts me when there are problems.
the pi can do some neat stuff for sure! im hooking mine up to some door sensors as well as temp sensors. I also have a relay going in to trigger my garage door to turn my phone into a door opener remote. the door triggers will report status back to my phone as well as trigger alerts in blueiris, the temp sensors are just cool to play with... :p

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah i plan to install some PIR sensors to email snapshots, and maybe hook up a door bell which emails me a pic of who's at the door.

pila

n3wb
Reaction score
Now I have my cameras up and runnig and am searching for a good system to review recordings. Cameras have no problem recording automatically to my NAS when needed. Raspberry is not needed.

RP2 should just be used to show image on TV when TV is on and for reviewing recoridngs. Now I use it to manually review recordings made by my NAS but NAS has some issues currently with the recording. But, NAS makes files perfectly clearly organised (camera name, das, hours with clear filenames). I also use RP2 to view live picture (one camera at a time for now).

But, I can not use it to review cameras made recordings as the format is unreadable (time stamp orientation is impossible). So, if Raspberry could simply read the Hikvision file system and present it for viewing, it would be all that is needed. SInce it has hardware h264, it is great for that.

For live monitoring at all times, I use 7" android tablet with tinyCam.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a CuBox i4 Pro which is much like a RPI2 except it has eSata, I've been ftping video onto a 4TB WD Purple for years now without issue.

I am setting up a PI2 right now in the mudroom displaying live streams from all the cameras and processing license plates... but i'd never use it for storage without that eSata port.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
my pi2 is running ok now, they are pretty flexible little devices. i have it tracking my wan usage (via snmp), tracking local weather (temp, humidity, pressure, and dust) via some adruinos i have around the house, monitoring some door sensors (and triggering blueiris accordingly), acting as a garage door opener, and of course serving this all through a web page. its fun to tinker with on the weekend.