Raspberry Pi 3B+ OpenVPN

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can't install OpenVpn my Windstream Arris Modem/Router so I installed it on a Raspberry Pi I had using piVPN. I setup a free account with Dynu for DNS. Everything is working great. Is there any down side on using the Raspberry Pi for VPN server?

Eagleeye

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Olddawg, are you still using the Raspberry Pi for openvpn for your cameras?
If so how has it been behaving? I've been thinking of going that way myself.

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey Olddawg, are you still using the Raspberry Pi for openvpn for your cameras?
If so how has it been behaving? I've been thinking of going that way myself.
You might want to consider WireGuard instead of OpenVPN. It seems to be much faster and easier to setup.

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes it is still working fine for access to my cameras when I am not connected locally on my network. I use the OpenVPN app on my iPhone and then UI3 Blue Iris web interface. If I recall piVPN was easy to install. I created a cron job for Dynu to keep my IP address up to date. Instructions are on Dynu. All that said I don’t use it as much recently because I am using Home Assistant for a lot of home automation and have Blue Iris integrated with it. All of my cameras are available through the Home Assistant app. Not as good as the Blue Iris UI3, but good for quick glance and the I can always switch to UI3 to look at details on alerts etc

I don’t have any experience with Wireguard, but if it is easier I would certainly go that way.