re adding a NAS ... what are your thoughts?

oldtechy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
What are your thoughts regarding adding a NAS ?
(e.g Synology Diskstation ds115j)

I have (2)Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW & (2)Amcrest ip2m-841.

All cams are currently recording to u-SDCards in-Cams

thnx

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i think ud be better served by dedicated NVR, I never get why people mix the NAS and NVR together..

if my NVR has a disk failure, imna yank it out and get it back up as quickly as possible.. even running at diminished capacity or with lost data..

if my NAS has a disk failure, imna carefully make backups, take the thing down, and not give 2 shits about how long its down for.. it could be days or weeks before I am satisfied the integrity is solid, all the data has been restored, and its safe to bring it back into production.

they are like mutually exclusive, at least for me..

oldtechy

n3wb
Reaction score
interesting observation, Gunny

i think ud be better served by dedicated NVR, I never get why people mix the NAS and NVR together..

if my NVR has a disk failure, imna yank it out and get it back up as quickly as possible.. even running at diminished capacity or with lost data..

if my NAS has a disk failure, imna carefully make backups, take the thing down, and not give 2 shits about how long its down for.. it could be days or weeks before I am satisfied the integrity is solid, all the data has been restored, and its safe to bring it back into production.

they are like mutually exclusive, at least for me..

Dani555

n3wb
Reaction score
@ oldtechy

I am deciding which out of the DS-2CD2432F-IW and Amcrest IP2M-841 to go for. Which one out of these two do you prefer and why? I will be using in the living room for infant/nanny as well as covering the hallway.

Thanks,
Dani

oldtechy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW or Amcrest IP2M-841 ?

hi -
1st: they are both very good Cams {I have 2 of each.} & have
served me well for 9+mos. so far. I mounted them "outside" in
custom-enclosures in "protected" locations; and they have survived
a winter-summer(29 -- 99 degs) and spring deluges.

summary : I prefer the Hikvision ... by only a small-margin.

CAM features:

Hikvision :
(Compact-size , 3mp sensor, Better Resolution/Image in daylight, PoE(12v), Lens-Options(FoV), PiR, more advanced(professional?) setup, user-configuration & event-detection, discreet IR emiiter)

Amcrest :
(2mp sensor, Better low-light image , Pan-Tilt & Zoom(digital), lower-cost, company-support-forum,
operates-cooler(5v), preferred Playback/Live view in PC browser-UI(webcomponents), better-audio,
simpler image-setup )

btw: neither phone-app have impressed me much.

Depending on your needs, either cam should serve you well.

good luck

tip: take note/pix of "verification-code" on back of Hikvision CAM.
_ This code is NOWHERE-ELSE and some apps need it.

@ oldtechy

I am deciding which out of the DS-2CD2432F-IW and Amcrest IP2M-841 to go for. Which one out of these two do you prefer and why? I will be using in the living room for infant/nanny as well as covering the hallway.

Thanks,
Dani

Last edited by a moderator:

Dani555

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW or Amcrest IP2M-841 ?

Great, thank you very much. I am leaning towards the Hikvision too.

Flatstrap

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: adding a NAS ... what are your thoughts?

@ oldtechy
I agree with Nayr's comments...and if you are thinking of using more than 2 cameras on a Synology NAS you may need to buy camera licenses to enable them which means extra $$$.

Personally I have 2 x diskstation NAS's and they are great but I keep my data separate (on a dedicated NVR) from the camera recordings. Depending on how your system is set up you may find the cameras are always recording and the drives are constantly on and spinning which may lead to a shorter life span for the drive and any other personal data stored on the drive in the event of a failure.

Good luck
Flatstrap