Re-terminate a Dahua camera?

Newtie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!

We've got Dahua HFW4 IP66 cameras at our site and all work really well for the price. One of my cameras had a little accident over the weekend due to the rain (I'm in northern California) and I need to re-terminate the connector on the Dahua side.

Stripping back the insulation, I see that the color codes are not the standard 568 configuration. What Dahua has is blue, gray, purple, orange, brown and yellow. Anyone know what goes where in a femail RJ45 connector?

Thanks,
Mark

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
cut the end off another network cable with standard 568 config, strip the wires back.. plug it into whatever is left of the old Dahua connector... then pull out a multimeter and test continuity to the other end... its the only way to be sure.

Newtie

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't know how to do that.

I was hoping that someone would have run into this at some other time and would know Orange > White/Blue etc. but maybe that's not going to happen.

Thanks anyway.

Mark

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You got a multimeter?

strip all the wires off the plug you cut off, take a properly colored network cable, cut an end off and do the same thing, then plug the two cut off ends together.. now set your multimeter to its continuity setting.. you should touch both probes together and the meeter make a beeping sound.. now attach the probe to the end with the known colors, and start touching every wire on the dahua connector until you hear that beep.. now you know what color wire it should match up with... repeat until you know all the wires positions.

colors dont mean anything really, and there is no gaurntee that if I knew what mine was that it would apply to yours.. even with same make/model as it could change without warning depending on run or person who strung the wires into the feeding machine.

since it involves DC power and you risk destroying your device by reversing polarity, you should just verify with your own eyes instead of trusting anyone online.

Newtie

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to replace the keystone jack on the end of the cable that goes into the camera itself. I cut the old jack off; both male and female end connections were inundated with water, so I don't have anything to 'plug into.' I just have a cable coming out of the camera with the colors described above.

Thanks,

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what happened to the part you cut off? that holds the key to decoding the colors.. go dig it back out of the rubbish bin

Newtie

n3wb
Reaction score
It's destroyed. I tried to carefully cut it open and wrecked it.

Is it possible to use another camera to get this information? We certainly have enough of them onsite.

Newtie

n3wb
Reaction score
Holy Cow! It works!

Just followed the screen shot diagram and the darn thing lit right up. Was thinkin' I had a very expensive paper weight on my hands but I guess not.

Thanks A LOT for your help. I'm wondering if this is the 'standard' config for Dahua cameras. It would be nice to be able to thread the small ethernet cable thru the wall and terminate it on the inside rather than drilling a 3/4 hole to push the jack through.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Ha ha I feel your pain,
This is what my bench looked like screwing around when the rain got too much. My fault I never expected the heavy rain and was..ahem bench testing a ip camera outside with no protection other than some black tape. I thought I fried the camera because it cooked the end pretty good and passive poe power does not care if it cooking at the other end or not, it just keeps on cooking. It could have burned the tree down I had it mounted too. Yea I know live and learn. I burned my F%$#@ing hand yanking the thing apart. It was a good lesson on how to burn a tree or house down with a shorted out poe connection. Got it fixed with a new keystone.

20150817_145514.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
those are some pertty looking spectacles yeh got there :laugh:

thats some carnage, thanks for sharing.. but I doubt 3.2A of 48v would have burned your tree down, unless its so dead and dry its going to burst into flames if you look it the wrong way.. I am sure it got pretty darn hot though, was any of the rest of the cabling damaged?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Ha after I looked at the pic I realized I was using my wife's cheaters, sporty Huh. The story here I was testing a 5mp GW security vara focal ip cam so I mounted it in a tree
about 200' behind my house. I had a leftover spool of 5e so out through the basement window it went across the grass and up the tree. I was on vacation that week so I was around most of the time and was really liking what I was seeing with this camera. It WAS suppose to be clear and sunny that day and I took a day trip with my wife and daughter. Mama Nature had outsmarted the weather men that day, we got like 4" of rain in 2 hours. When I got home it was sunny but my driveway washed out and I checked the NVR and the cam was off line. CRAP I said,I unplugged it and went out and it was smoking from the moisture and black tape cooking. The cherry tree was OK and the cable end was cooked. I cut off about 6" and was fine. It did capture the storm and I played it back until I saw fog then lights out. Oh well live and learn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Newtie

n3wb
Reaction score
Same here! The wind ripped the mounting block off the side of the auditorium and when I got there, the camera was literally swinging in the wind! I too had 2 fried POE contacts and thought I was done for sure. Great help here fixed it.

As an aside I've been using self-fusing tape for our outside cameras connections that aren't under an eave or some sort of other protection. I'm trying this stuff called Sugru which is a moldable silicone putty. Takes 24 hours to turn into rubber. Definitely is a permanent, waterproof seal.

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just had to do this recently on my 4mp camera and I can confirm that the wiring above is correct. In my pigtail however there were 2 less wires. There was no green wire, and only a yellow which was connected to both pin 4 & 5. There was no white wire, and only a grey which was connected to both pin 7 & 8.

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is the connections from the cameras end from CCTV's tng5737
Thank you