Really Bad Car Accident Caught On Camera

Reaction score
Just off a 16hr shift, went to sleep at the wheel? Just thinking out loud, I have no idea if that's the case or not.
But there are lots of Rn's working double shifts in short staffed hospitals.
I originally dismissed @looney2ns' speculations, but now I'm not so sure. She's wearing scrubs, and now they're saying she was not driving under the influence. This is truly baffling. Most people who fall asleep at the wheel will quickly veer off the road, and it generally happens on an interstate where the driving is monotonous. She was heading down a busy city street, where you are constantly interacting with the vehicles around you, and are constantly passing through intersections and traffic lights. If she wasn't drunk or stoned, then it had to be deliberate.

It should be interesting to hear what her lawyer says in her defense.

Reaction score
I would add if there’s time a company could see how their design met / didn’t meet their specifications as it relates to crash survival.

This single incident proves out their design and engineering is spot on!

Impressive and am sure it will help sell more cars!
It was one hell of a safety demonstration, but I don't think that Mercedes will be hiring the nurse as a spokesperson anytime soon. :)

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure what you guys are trying to infer. Anyone who’s ever been a long haul driver knows the so called sleeping at the wheel. Comes down to a lot of different factors like road conditions and direction of travel.

This is akin to a highly functional drunk.

Those people easily kick back X ounces of hard alcohol. They run around doing what ever they do as a profession. Nobody is the wiser as it relates to that mad drunk.

A person who commutes long distances has more muscle memory and stamina than the average Joe.

But, at some critical point they will fail in a epic fashion. Whether they ditch, cross a median, to crashing into a stationary object is just dumb luck!

Being over tired is almost always equated to being under the influence. Because your reaction time and decision making skills are impaired.

That’s no different than being high or drunk. The difference is purely from a legal perspective vs the outcome of what can or will happen during the penalty stage of your conviction.

Obviously that hinges on the laws that are in place.

Reaction score
^ and most would be slowing down if falling asleep? Sleep is usually rest, not stomp on a gas pedal?
If the Mercedes had an auto-cruise or auto-steer feature, that might keep the car moving in a straight line if she fell asleep, but not at 90 to 100 mph.

One possible defense on her part: unintended acceleration by the Mercedes. It has happened (or been claimed to happen) with vehicles using modern electronics and computer systems. If she claims that she was unable to control her car, then the DA (and Mercedes) will be analyzing the black box.

Reaction score
Not sure what you guys are trying to infer. Anyone who’s ever been a long haul driver knows the so called sleeping at the wheel. Comes down to a lot of different factors like road conditions and direction of travel.

This is akin to a highly functional drunk.

Those people easily kick back X ounces of hard alcohol. They run around doing what ever they do as a profession. Nobody is the wiser as it relates to that mad drunk.

A person who commutes long distances has more muscle memory and stamina than the average Joe.

But, at some critical point they will fail in a epic fashion. Whether they ditch, cross a median, to crashing into a stationary object is just dumb luck!

Being over tired is almost always equated to being under the influence. Because your reaction time and decision making skills are impaired.

That’s no different than being high or drunk. The difference is purely from a legal perspective vs the outcome of what can or will happen during the penalty stage of your conviction.

Obviously that hinges on the laws that are in place.
So basically you're thinking that she effectively "zoned out" due to exhaustion or lack of sleep. Not truly "eyes closed" asleep at the wheel, but not really there either. You may be right.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
So basically you're thinking that she effectively "zoned out" due to exhaustion or lack of sleep. Not truly "eyes closed" asleep at the wheel, but not really there either. You may be right.
Almost everyone who’s driven a vehicle to having experienced a loss of time. The most common is where a person is listening to music or very engaged in a conversation.

People report they have no clue X time past by or didn’t see Y sign / approach.

Zoned out as you infer happens millions of times on the roads today. When you mix in someone having to endure 16 hour shifts doing all manner of stuff. To then have to drive a motor vehicle from point A - B.

It’s truly dumb luck she and others didn’t die years before!

There are probably tens of millions of people working the night shift going through the exact same thing. Just consider when you come along that truck driver!

You better be really far behind or really far ahead. Because dollars to donuts one of them is working the log book to meet a delivery time!

Reaction score
Almost everyone who’s driven a vehicle to having experienced a loss of time. The most common is where a person is listening to music or very engaged in a conversation.

People report they have no clue X time past by or didn’t see Y sign / approach.

Zoned out as you infer happens millions of times on the roads today. When you mix in someone having to endure 16 hour shifts doing all manner of stuff. To then have to drive a motor vehicle from point A - B.

It’s truly dumb luck she and others didn’t die years before!

There are probably tens of millions of people working the night shift going through the exact same thing. Just consider when you come along that truck driver!

You better be really far behind or really far ahead. Because dollars to donuts one of them is working the log book to meet a delivery time!
We all zone out from time to time on the road, but to then accelerate to 90 to 100 mph on a busy city street? Maybe, but I'm still skeptical. We shall see.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m not sure why people find it hard to believe the vehicle accelerated?!? Almost all of the current vehicles today have drive by wire.

The old school pedal of yesteryear is pretty much gone. There isn’t much pedal pressure required to make a vehicle move. Given this is a Mercedes vehicle it probably had one of those feather light pedals which many of you can relate to.

It’s not like she was going from 0-60 MPH.

She was going down hill and from (let’s just say) 90 to 100 MPH. What’s ten extra miles an hour in the big picture?

Considering there isn’t a radar detector present none of us can say how fast she was rocking prior to smashing through the intersection.

I’m sure the black box will offer that insight. But, I can say that vehicle was easily breaking 90 if not 110 plus.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I used to do a lot of driving, 12 and even 24 hours non-stop. Zoning out, dozing does happen. Anecdotal, I know, but every time I zoned or dozed I slowed down simply because of the body relaxing. Wandered onto the shoulder every time, luckily for me and everyone else.
Been, there done that. It was really stupid of me back then! When I finally got a brain I just pulled over deep into the shoulder and turned on the hazards.

Reclined the chair and just dropped my hat and went to sleep! I shouldn’t even be here given how many times I lost track of time.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m not sure why people find it hard to believe the vehicle accelerated?!? Almost all of the current vehicles today have drive by wire.
Not hard to believe that aspect. Or that you might zone out for a moment. A little harder to believe both in combination and staying zoned out while accelerating that fast.

Stepping through frame-by-frame there are no brake lights. If some kind of unintended acceleration then I'd expect to see.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've run a red light twice in my life, both times after a 13+ hour shift.

First time I was stopped at a light and looking away when a street light just behind the traffic light turned on. I just started going without looking at the traffic light first to notice it was red.

Second time I can't explain at all. I was driving and saw the light changing from yellow to red. I knew it was red for a long time and was paying attention, but drove through the intersection AND there was a cop at that light. After I realized what I had done, I pulled over to wait for the cop to write me up, but he never came.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Not hard to believe that aspect. Or that you might zone out for a moment. A little harder to believe both in combination and staying zoned out while accelerating that fast.

Stepping through frame-by-frame there are no brake lights. If some kind of unintended acceleration then I'd expect to see.
While we are all speculating about zoning out. I’m still betting she just past out and smashed on the accelerator and the rest is history.

As noted the why only matters to those involved with the legal aspect. As this directly impacts what charges will apply. If she had anything in her blood say alcohol well strike 1.

If she had nothing and the tox screen affirms the same there’s no strike 1-2-3 etc.

She had a heart attack / seizure?!?

Obviously it would take her out of any category of malice or other and ruled a true accident. She fell asleep that again isn’t strike 1-2-3. But she would be charged with something like reckless endangerment etc.

Ultimately it doesn’t matter because it doesn’t make anyone whole or bring back the dead. I haven’t met a soul who ever yelled out at the top of their lungs and said:

Oh this money is so great vs having their loved one!

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Why was she allowed behind the wheel let alone to treat people in the ICU? Traveling nurse, 37, who killed six in horror 90mph LA crash has been involved in THIRTEEN prior road accidents and has a 'profound' history of mental health issues

The traveling ICU nurse who killed six people in a horror crash in Los Angeles on Thursday after plowing her Mercedes 90mph through a busy intersection has a 'profound' history of mental illness and has been involved in 13 prior crashes, but was still somehow subcontracted to work in a hospital and allowed to drive.

Nicole Lorraine Linton, 37, is in custody on six murder charges as a result of Thursday's crash.

Among those she killed was pregnant Asherey Ryan, 23, her one-year-old son Alonzo and Reynold Lester, the father of Asherey's unborn baby, who also died.

On Tuesday, Craig Pitchford was named as another victim. Two other female victims remain unidentified.

Linton is from Houston, Texas, and was in Los Angeles working as a contractor at the Kaiser Permanente West Los Angeles Hospital.

She was working for the nursing contractor group AMN Healthcare, which she joined in October 2020.

ICU nurse who killed 6 in L.A. crash has 'profound' mental health issues and history of accidents | Daily Mail Online

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Why was she allowed behind the wheel let alone to treat people in the ICU? Traveling nurse, 37, who killed six in horror 90mph LA crash has been involved in THIRTEEN prior road accidents and has a 'profound' history of mental health issues

The traveling ICU nurse who killed six people in a horror crash in Los Angeles on Thursday after plowing her Mercedes 90mph through a busy intersection has a 'profound' history of mental illness and has been involved in 13 prior crashes, but was still somehow subcontracted to work in a hospital and allowed to drive.

Nicole Lorraine Linton, 37, is in custody on six murder charges as a result of Thursday's crash.

Among those she killed was pregnant Asherey Ryan, 23, her one-year-old son Alonzo and Reynold Lester, the father of Asherey's unborn baby, who also died.

On Tuesday, Craig Pitchford was named as another victim. Two other female victims remain unidentified.

Linton is from Houston, Texas, and was in Los Angeles working as a contractor at the Kaiser Permanente West Los Angeles Hospital.

She was working for the nursing contractor group AMN Healthcare, which she joined in October 2020.

ICU nurse who killed 6 in L.A. crash has 'profound' mental health issues and history of accidents | Daily Mail Online
Yup, proves my point completely dumb luck this didn’t happen more or faster.

Reaction score
Seeing her sitting on the curb with minor injuries kills any ideas of heart attack or other medical issues. I read somewhere she had a broken ankle.

From the video, she never hit the brakes, no brake lights came on. A witness has stated she gave a hand gesture out the window as she went through the light. Don't know what the gesture was, but was not asleep?

A supposed 'friend' says she was drinking and arguing with her boyfriend just before the accident. The DA says there is no indication she had been drinking and is trying to locate said 'friend'.

She obviously had her seat belt on and the Merc's airbags protected her in a full-frontal crash. Even after she t-boned the other cars, she hit the pole head-on.

Some of the killed were ejected from their vehicles, including the baby. The baby's car seat can be seen on the street. These are designed for a frontal crash. They do not do real well in a side crash, especially if they are not installed correctly and the child is not held in tightly. I have been to the accident safety classes held by local police and they will check your car seat installations. They state that they see so many installs that are not done correctly.

Others that were killed were most probably done in by the fire.