REALLY N3wb - Marrying NVR + PoE Cam + PSS + PC

Dave McKeen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm as n3wb as they come! I installed a SD49225T-HN PTZ and WebPlugin3.0.0.3 for IE. I've enjoyed using the cam with the Web interface, but was looking to install DH_SmartPSS_En_IS_V2.00.0.R.20161116 for the additional features - including the ability to export MP4 videos. But- I had a NVR N42B1P on order from B&H so thought I would wait and fire up the NVR before installing more PC software.

The documentation is as clear to me as dense fog. I feel like I am the one who is dense though. After I do this once I'm sure it will make all kinds of sense.

I have the NVR connected to my computer monitor via an HDMI input, its audio out connected to my stereo system, power supply plugged into the NVR and ready to plug into AC, and all I need to do is unplug the cam's Ethernet connector from the PoE injector and plug it in to the NVR. I have a wireless mouse with the USB received plugged in to the NVR as well.

Am I missing anything? Do I just turn the NVR on and see what appears on my monitor? Do I need to mess with Smart PSS?

TIA for your patience and understanding. I need all of that I can get! - Dave

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you'll still have to import the camera or configure the camera in the NVR. You can install smart PSS if you want to view the feed (main stream or sub stream) directly from the camera rather than through the NVR. Basically you csan set it up so multiple devices (your pc and the NVR) can pick up the stream from the camer simultaneously. There are scenarios where this makes sense. Depending on the model of NVR and how you choose to do it the IP may need to be changed on the camera. If the NVR has POE switch integrated it typically creates a new network for the cams on a separate IP space to isolate them from the main network as well as direct internet access (this is desired for "security" but will impact your ability to utilize smartPSS). Unless you are trying to be a superstar I wouldn't get in to the minutia of multi streams and access methods, use the NVR and get good with it. Once you feel you need more features or direct access then you will know what you need to do to make that happen.