Really newbie here, need help on mounting method on a California ranch house

lucrabbit

n3wb
Reaction score
My house is an old ranch style one back from 1950s: open eaves with no soffit. I assume mounting the bullet cameras perpendicularly to the wall is my best option, and I really need some help on the wall/eaves/roof structure to figure out how/where to drill the hole so I don't accidentally drill a hole on the inside wall instead of a hole directly into the attic. I am attaching a picture of a corner here. Any help on Youtube video/construction blueprints is much appreciated!

Attachments

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My house is an old ranch style one back from 1950s: open eaves with no soffit. I assume mounting the bullet cameras perpendicularly to the wall is my best option, and I really need some help on the wall/eaves/roof structure to figure out how/where to drill the hole so I don't accidentally drill a hole on the inside wall instead of a hole directly into the attic. I am attaching a picture of a corner here. Any help on Youtube video/construction blueprints is much appreciated!
I'd be investing in some junction boxes and the 5442 turrets for that build instead of going with bullets. Even when mounted on a vertical wall the turrets will turn to look along the wall. Even if you went with bullets I would still use junction boxes. It is one of the regrets I have from my last install that I didn't use junction boxes. It would have made replacement significantly easier.

From what I can see there I would drill an 8mm (5/16") through the back of a round junction box mounted on the timber at the top of the wall,

This is the style of junction box I am talking about

I would then run conduit down the wall to a Junction box. I'd paint the conduit and junction box to match the surface it was sitting against.

And then mount the camera on that.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @lucrabbit

Find a few places you can run cables out to each side of the area under the roof. ( hopefully you can find enough space in the attic to push a fishing pole to a location you can get to )

Then on the outside I would use conduit runs, drop down a bit to a junction box and have cameras off the junction boxes.

If you have an attached garage, start there.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm thinkin maybe he isnt keen on masonary drilling Tapcon's into the stucco? Just a thought. The wall is a strong mount point. I didn't understand how he's running the cabling?
Could he rig/ hang a stubby pole off one of those 2x4's to get a cam low enough to see? and do a pole mount?

lucrabbit

n3wb
Reaction score
wow, thanks for the prompt responses in just a few hours!

I am not too concerned about drilling holes on stucco. The questions are:

1. How do I hide the camera pigtails (POE, reset, power)? Junction box + conduit run seems like a good idea so I can hide pigtails in the junction box?
2. I need to drill at least one hole to get cables to the attic assuming I can manage the rest with conduit runs, how and where do I drill the hole? I updated my picture to show what I meant. I can also rip a hole in the attic vent to get all cables through but I don't think that's an elegant solution. :p

Attachments

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
1. How do I hide the camera pigtails
Like you said

I can hide pigtails in the junction box?
2. I need to drill at least one hole
I'd drill more than one and have a short vertical run down to each camera.

how and where do I drill the hole?
Like I said attach a round junction box to the timber, and then drill a hole through the junction box into the attic to pass the cable through.

Get yourself some flexible fibreglass fishing rods to push through the hole into the roof space and hopefully far enough in that you can reach them without crawl boards into the squeezy parts of the roof.

I'm assuming you have one of those god awful US roofs with shingles on plywood, and can't remove roof tiles to get a better view.

Reaction score
You can make your open eaves without soffit accessible by installing bullet cameras that are parallel to the wall. Drilling into the attic accurately and without hitting an internal wall needs you to know about the walls, eaves and roofs.

You may want to look at YouTube videos or construction blueprints for help with this ;)

Moreover, if there are soffit vents that usually occur on the lower side of the eaves, one can tell where it is best not to drill due to ventilation systems in place.

Also, it might be helpful when mounting the camera in getting advice from a professional or an experienced DIYer.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can make your open eaves without soffit accessible by installing bullet cameras that are parallel to the wall. Drilling into the attic accurately and without hitting an internal wall needs you to know about the walls, eaves and roofs.

You may want to look at YouTube videos or construction blueprints for help with this ;)

Moreover, if there are soffit vents that usually occur on the lower side of the eaves, one can tell where it is best not to drill due to ventilation systems in place.

Also, it might be helpful when mounting the camera in getting advice from a professional or an experienced DIYer.
Hmm ..