rear view mirror dash cam?

Discussion in 'Dash Cams' started by bcarpenter, Aug 10, 2019.

Share This Page

1. bcarpenter

bcarpenter n3wb

2. Natey2

Natey2 Young grasshopper

Yeah, I bought one on Amazon. Looks like the one in your link, but different brand/seller. I think the manufacturer in China is the same, they just re-brand it 1000 different ways from different sellers.

Has front and rear cams. 32GB cards work ok, but 64GB card causes some issues when the card fills up. Device shuts down sometimes (rare) for unknown reasons, could be due to high heat (exposure to direct summer sunlight, high on the windshield area inside the car). The 10" version might get in the way of your sun visor extending all the way down. I have the 8" version.

It does a decent job, but forget about getting license plate numbers from the rear cam, especially at night. But rear cam is good for proof if someone is following too closely or hits you from the rear.

If the car is bumped/jolted even when parked, it will record for 30s. Nice, but somebody slamming the door also triggers that. Can be disabled.

I'm fairly happy with mine.

Sent using Tapatalk

3. bcarpenter

bcarpenter n3wb

The Junsun at my link says it needs batteries. Maybe a supercap would be a better choice? Here in Florida, we get cooked at times.

You say you're fairly happy with yours ..... if you were buying another camera today, would you buy the same model or would you consider upgrading? I encountered one while searching last night called the Autovox X2. Unfortunately, costs 2.5 times as much as the Junsun. That's a big step in price .....

4. Natey2

Natey2 Young grasshopper

Lithium [Polymer] batteries in direct summer heat/sunlight inside a closed car is bad news.

I have a TOGUARD CE39 8". They also have a CE60 10". It has a built-in battery to power the 30s parking monitor/sensor recording to record who bumped your car (hopefully) when the ignition is off. If you use a windshield sunshade to keep the car interior cool, the dashcam may be blocked by it for parking monitor.

I probably would look for a better dashcam, especially if you need something that can record license plate numbers at night (especially the rear cam); that may be a challenge: there's source motion (your car) and target motion (the other car). I hear some of the Teslas have a dome-like cam on top of the car that can record 360-degrees. Now there's an idea!

I've been known to have 2 "sub-par" home security cams, one of which I should replace. And also a new doorbell cam that someone here called "pure crap" that I'm fairly happy with. So it's all a matter of relative standards.

Sent using Tapatalk