Reason for low IR illumination distance in IPC-HDBW3441R-AS-P

Ettor33

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm considering the model in the title because it's an IP cam with wide angle FOV and AI features,
however I noticed that for an outdoor camera it has a really low maximum IR illumination distance (15 m) in its specs, when outdoor cameras tipically have at least 30m.
Does anyone know the reason behind it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is a dome camera with only 3 IR lights.

Plus it is 4MP on a sensor designed for 2MP, so the range is cut.

Domes have trouble with IR.

Why not go with the far superior turret 5442 series?

Ettor33

n3wb
Reaction score
Because I'd like a wide angle model, and the IPC-HDBW3441R-AS-P (dome) and IPC-HFW3441T-AS-P (bullet) are the only models I found with this feature.
The bullet model has 20m max illumination distance which is a bit better.

AFAIK the 5442s have only up to 112° horizontal fov.
I guess I could compensate for it with PTZ Scan

Mark_M

Known around here
Reaction score
For those wondering about the camera being referenced to:
1704717194747.png

I have to agree with you about this dome vs the bullet model.... a fisheye bullet camera is just weird.
I got dome cameras without issues. The time IR becomes an issue with dome cameras is dirt/water droplets on the dome.
I wouldn't worry about the resolution to sensor size ratio here, it's a fish eye so you're not going to get much detail anyway. If it was a larger imaging sensor then the lens/aperture would be a lot wider to compensate.... limiting depth of field view too much.

I'm considering the model in the title because it's an IP cam with wide angle FOV and AI features,
however I noticed that for an outdoor camera it has a really low maximum IR illumination distance (15 m) in its specs, when outdoor cameras tipically have at least 30m.
Does anyone know the reason behind it?
15M IR on this model because it is a wide angle lens. This is a very wide angle lens to use inside a room. Those 3 IR LEDs have a very wide angle.
Other cameras stating 30M IR is because the lens has more zoom, and those IR LEDs have a smaller angle.

Ettor33

n3wb
Reaction score
15M IR on this model because it is a wide angle lens. This is a very wide angle lens to use inside a room. Those 3 IR LEDs have a very wide angle.
Other cameras stating 30M IR is because the lens has more zoom, and those IR LEDs have a smaller angle.
Yeah I thought it was something like that, the light is distributed on a larger area so it's weaker overall, thanks for confirming it.
Kinda weird to not add more IR leds to compensate, this is an outdoor camera after all.

Mark_M

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah I thought it was something like that, the light is distributed on a larger area so it's weaker overall, thanks for confirming it.
Kinda weird to not add more IR leds to compensate, this is an outdoor camera after all.
The Model Number: DH-IPC-PDW5849-A180-E2-ASTE would be more suited for an outdoors space.
Being two cameras stitched into one panoramic gives the benefit of a wide angle, while not having a fish-eye distorted video.
1704719945144.png

There's panoramic versions with 4 cameras stitched together, in different models to equal 8mp, 16mp or 32mp total. Those versions have IR lights

Ettor33

n3wb
Reaction score
The Model Number: DH-IPC-PDW5849-A180-E2-ASTE would be more suited for an outdoors space.
Being two cameras stitched into one panoramic gives the benefit of a wide angle, while not having a fish-eye distorted video.
There's panoramic versions with 4 cameras stitched together, in different models to equal 8mp, 16mp or 32mp total. Those versions have IR lights
Thanks for the hint, seems like a much better solution.
Too bad for the price though, it's about 450-500€ here, but I guess it's a given for such a specialized camera.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, keep in mind that the wide view the camera shows, the closer a subject needs to be to the camera before you'll have any usable footage. So even if the camera was physically able to illuminate the scene past 15m, you aren't going to have any usable footage at that distance outside of "detecting" someone is there.