Reboot nvr daily or weekly?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Is it bad for the hard drives and cameras to set a daily dahua nvr reboot schedule? Maybe once a week is better?

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm curious as to this as well, there was another thread in the Dahua section I believe where the OP wanted to know what the best reboot schedule is.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I reboot mine daily (Hikvision and Dahua) otherwise they do eventually start playing up (slow web gui, missing motion / not e-mailing etc). 5 min downtime is worth it in my opinion.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Daily just seems a bit overkill, weekly on the other hand seems more feasible.

How long would eventually be? I'm sure a week should be ok. Linux boxes usually are pretty robust.

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Daily = overkill for sure but it's on same plug as router which I also reboot at the same time.

2 weeks sometimes. 1 month+ other times.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I never reboot my NVRs. I have at this time currently installed and working 85 separate NVRs all based on Windows of some flavor and I have no reboot need on any of them.

Some I'm sure are rebooted by power outages and the like but we do have UPSes installed at all locations, but no specific reboots are needed for any of them. Some have been up for a long, long time and some I have literally never been inside since they were installed. I do everything remotely so pulling footage and the like is remote, no need to be in the machine. My machines almost all run local quad rotations all the time so the client is in use too so pretty normal usage. Still have many locations that basically run themselves autonomously and I cannot remember really having to ever specifically mess with. Only time I mess with them in general is when adding or changing cameras maybe.

I have the ability to remotely power cycle the NVR machine as needed via UPS, or via web power switches and at times I reboot other equipment on site via UPS so the whole site gets rebooted no matter what, but I can only think of one or two times where I rebooted a site due to a PC based NVR acting up.

DemonicHawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I reboot mine daily (Hikvision and Dahua) otherwise they do eventually start playing up (slow web gui, missing motion / not e-mailing etc). 5 min downtime is worth it in my opinion.
Your Hikvision has a feature for setting a reboot schedule? What model is it?