Reccomened cheap single small "nanny" cam

Reaction score
Well I have a very small room 8ft x9ft it's used as a gun room so I'm looking at placing a camera on my safe pointing directly at the door. A full size camera may be overkill.

Both WiFi and wired cameras.

Please note all guns are in a large safe, ammo/gun powder on shelfs windows have internal bars with opeaqe glass.

Door has been replaced with a plain looking entry door with electronic dead bolt.

Everything exceeds requirements, this is just something extra.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wyze Cam ($20) is only wifi, plus you may add sense hub for entry door contact (or gun safe door). The hub also allow to add a motion sensor to notify when someone enter the room. The total cost is less than $50 for the camera + hub + 2 door contacts. You will receive push notifications to alert of someone entering the room

Reaction score
I've heard mixed reports of the wyze cam being firmware flashed to support blue iris can anyone confirm this.

Door contacts are prolly overkill as the room only has one way in anyway.
I already have a Reed switch set up to tur on led strip lighting.

If the hub did temp/humidity monitoring I'd be more keen

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Found a clever idea to add-on a "real time" temp/humidity screen to a Wyze cam.

Using a temperature gauge with programmable built-in alarm, it could alert you with a push
notification when humidity levels exceeds high or low limits, while the buzzer (sound)
could activate the camera "sound detection trigger"

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suggest the Amcrest IP2M-841 (re-branded Dahua) . It's only $45 (black), is ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p, IR, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, record to micro SD card, wired or wireless and has alarm in/out, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Comes with wall/ceiling mount, 1/4"-20 tripod mount female insert on bottom.

I've installed 4 of them and 3 of it's lower-res (720p) cousins in the last 3 years and all have functioned with no hiccups.

I have also set one up with Tinycam Pro on a Sony smart TV (Android).

EDIT 4/1/21: V3 does NOT provide relay I/O nor jacks for an external mic and speaker.

Last edited:

Covert One

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I second TonyR's recommendation. I have a couple of those Amcrest cams inside pointed at entry doors. They work very well with BI. Recently Amcrest emailed me a special on the 4MP version and it too looked like a price performer. Think it was $20 more than the 2MP.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I suggest the Amcrest IP2M-841 as well. Version 3 adds auto-tracking support

Another alternative is the IPC-K35A: Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

Can be purchased from Andy @EMPIRETECANDY

I strongly advise against any Wyze camera

I suggest the Amcrest IP2M-841 (re-branded Dahua) . It's only $45 (black), is ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p, IR, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, record to micro SD card, wired or wireless and has alarm in/out, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Comes with wall/ceiling mount, 1/4"-20 tripod mount female insert on bottom.

I've installed 4 of them and 3 of it's lower-res (720p) cousins in the last 3 years and all have functioned with no hiccups.

I have also set one up with Tinycam Pro on a Sony smart TV (Android).

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I suggest the Amcrest IP2M-841 as well. Version 3 adds auto-tracking support

Another alternative is the IPC-K35A: Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

Can be purchased from Andy @EMPIRETECANDY

I strongly advise against any Wyze camera
In order for us to understand, could you please be more specifics on why we should avoid Wyze?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
They already breach earlier this year. Also, anything cloud-related is essentially telling cloud-based platforms that you don't care about privacy. Any cloud based platform is susceptible to being compromised even in this day of age.

In order for us to understand, could you please be more specifics on why we should avoid Wyze?

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They already breach earlier this year. Also, anything cloud-related is essentially telling cloud-based platforms that you don't care about privacy. Any cloud based platform is susceptible to being compromised even in this day of age.

yes, understand your concern. The alleged data breach was confirmed by Wyze. It was an employee mistake:

But frankly speaking, all ip cameras, specially Chinese, are on the same boat:

Warning As Millions Of Chinese-Made Cameras Can Be Hacked To Spy On Users: Report

Even Axis, with all the pioneer and technological advances, were also at risk:

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
also to avoid confusion, VPN is the most secure way of connecting your camera, an unfortunately, Wyze do not offer that option:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The advantage of other brands like Dahua and Hikvision is that their optics are far superior and can work independently from the cloud. A cloud is not required for Dahua and Hikvision and the like. Whereas with the Wyze cameras, I was prompted to created an account and be connected to the internet to view the live feed and integrate with Alexa.