Received Dahua SD59430U-HNI !!

duranged2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After a slow start in the ordering process, the AliExpress customer service rep I was working with placed my order and shipped my camera. I received it on Thursday, 10/13.

Everything in the camera box was in excellent shape, and I also received the PFA-150 pole mount in a separate box.

I temporarily mounted the camera on the support leg of a shelf next to my workbench in my basement. The camera powered up fine and is behaving just as it is designed. I am very impressed, if not overwhelmed, with the depth of operational control offered by the camera and software. It will take me some time to explore all the options. I'm thankful for information that others have posted to get the most out of the capabilities of the camera. My only IP camera experience is with a nice little Panasonic, and five Foscams, so I have the basics down...now it's time for graduate school.

One of my first questions is whether or not it would be ok to extend the input/output wires to a length that would bring them inside the little building where the camera will be installed. I figured that would give me flexibility to utilize those camera functions when and if I want to utilize them in the future, and would save me from having to work up at pole height.

Thanks for everyone's advice so far. I am excited to continue this project with all the benefits of expert guidance.

David

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Happy to hear you received it. Yes extend them.

Bench test everything before you even think of mounting it on the pole.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I assume you are using PoE+ to power the camera, so the only cable you have running to it is the network cable. You can extend this up to 100 meters, maybe even further, but 100m is the spec.

24v AC power can also be extended just fine by cutting the ends off an ordinary extension cord and utilizing the wires within (I'd use a good outdoor rated cord so it survives sunlight exposure).

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No, there is a dongle with alarm in/out wires and mic. He probably wants to have the alarm wires further down incase he wants to use them at some point.

duranged2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The camera will only be 8-10 feet from where I will locate any input/output devices. I will be using Poe+ to power the camera.

I guess I'm wondering if I can get by without using a pole mounted utility box, and just run the wiring inside the mounting pole. I will use rubber tape to protect the wiring, and "somehow" weatherproof the holes I have to drill in the pole.

Thanks!
David

duranged2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One of my first questions is whether or not it would be ok to extend the input/output wires to a length that would bring them inside the little building where the camera will be installed. I figured that would give me flexibility to utilize those camera functions when and if I want to utilize them in the future, and would save me from having to work up at pole height.
Would it be OK to use solid copper wire to extend the inputs? I ask because I have some old CAT 3?? phone equipment cable.

Also, the ground wire from the camera doesn't have a corresponding ground on the 24v adaptor. Should I just connect that to ground for the mounting pole?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
my 24vac didnt come grounded, you mean you got 3 wires on your ac adapter?

my big black face ptz is soldered up to some speaker wire thats running a good 40ft along the house and fence to my gate.

duranged2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, I'm sorry. I meant that there is a ground wire coming out of the "umbilical" of the camera. Adapter has black and red only.

So, the wire that I am hoping to use is in fact Cat3 plenum. I didn't know if it is acceptable to mixed stranded and solid.

Thanks!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the gnd output is for the alarm inputs/outputs, you short them to that ground to trigger.. they are called open collectors and its 2 states are: floating(open)/shorted(closed)

there is no polarity on the AC just hook those up to the power input, wont matter which way..

mixing solid and stranded is fine as long as they are connected correctly.. its common for solid copper to run inside walls to outlets, then stranded copper be used from the outlet to the device because its more flexible and wont be damaged from frequent movement.. thats how the power wires in your house are.. and why all my cameras terminate in a patch panel inside the house.

duranged2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the gnd output is for the alarm inputs/outputs, you short them to that ground to trigger.. they are called open collectors and its 2 states are: floating(open)/shorted(closed)
Thanks for the explanation.

The power "bundle" has its own ground wire (labeled "earth" and colored yellow/green.) The alarm bundle also has a yellow/green labeled "gnd"

Camera wires.jpg

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
then that's sounds like a chassis ground, usually you attach that to what its mounted on.. then ground the mount to the earth.. that bonds the circuitry inside with the housing..

typically this is done internally but since the lower half of the camera is all plastic I can see why the'd expose it externally.