recent install

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
In my neck of the woods, The utility company(National Grid ad Verizon) have been upgrading all residential power lines that sit under their main High voltage transmittion lines, and put them underground, I happen to live near them, I ended up with a upgraded pole in front of my house and they left the older pole in place until Spectrum and verizon moved them to the new pole, It has been over 2 years and Those guys finally moved their lines to the new pole. I asked the verizon guy about leaving it and he said he would so I could use it for a road cam (LPR). I said NA cut it down, and I asked him about mounting gear on the new pole, he said people do it all the time and they do not bother going after them for it but if its in the way of something they need to get at or it gets damaged they are not responsible for the equipment. That was NOT the answer I expected but I most likely would not chance it myself.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I don’t understand why this would come as a shock to anyone?!? Outside of the pole being owned by the property owner or having an agreement with whoever.

People can’t be installing things to property they don’t own and get all surprised and mad when they are told to remove the same.

Bottom line, your friend was playing with fire the moment he asked you to help install the camera! I sure hope there’s a 6 back of beer in this for you.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree. I think the owner just rolled the dice on it. I was sceptical about doing it and installed accordingly. a flat screw driver and some wire cutters to uninstall. And beers

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree. I think the owner just rolled the dice on it. I was sceptical about doing it and installed accordingly. a flat screw driver and some wire cutters to uninstall. And beers
I’d love to read more details about the installation and hardware in place. Such as the height used and why. What the owner was intending to capture such as license plates etc.

Along with how you trenched the conduit. Did you actually go under the public sidewalk?

Regardless, the installation on the pole was top shelf! I’ve seen a lot of iffy installs that actually stole power from the pole!

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I’d love to read more details about the installation and hardware in place. Such as the height used and why. What the owner was intending to capture such as license plates etc.

Along with how you trenched the conduit. Did you actually go under the public sidewalk?

Regardless, the installation on the pole was top shelf! I’ve seen a lot of iffy installs that actually stole power from the pole!
For sure, the camera was a 5241E-Z12E and was installed at about 11 ft high. We connected the camera to a Poe switch, and also used a 4 ch NVR to record. The owner wanted to capture license plates I believe. I left the set up to him, as he is abit of a enthusiast and Im not a expert when comes to this lpr stuff. Yet. The position of the camera was suggested by owner and in A great spot (IMO) for a head on shot of cars coming or leaving the street.
8A0563D3-7312-4DB5-8FE4-5AE42C119257.jpeg
As for wiring I used gel filled direct burial cat5e and edged it in 6” deep along laneway/sidewalk . I got lucky crossing the sidewalk with there being a 1/2” gap between slabs that was filled with dirt . Scraped out the dirt, tucked wire in 2” deep, filled in with dirt again . Other alternative was to take my 6’ dull 3/4” installers oger flex bit and tunnel across, just underneath the slab which is approx (5-6”) thick.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
For sure, the camera was a 5241E-Z12E and was installed at about 11 ft high. We connected the camera to a Poe switch, and also used a 4 ch NVR to record. The owner wanted to capture license plates I believe. I left the set up to him, as he is abit of a enthusiast and Im not a expert when comes to this lpr stuff. Yet. The position of the camera was suggested by owner and in A great spot (IMO) for a head on shot of cars coming or leaving the street.
View attachment 84128
As for wiring I used gel filled direct burial cat5e and edged it in 6” deep along laneway/sidewalk . I got lucky crossing the sidewalk with there being a 1/2” gap between slabs that was filled with dirt . Scraped out the dirt, tucked wire in 2” deep, filled in with dirt again . Other alternative was to take my 6’ dull 3/4” installers oger flex bit and tunnel across, just underneath the slab which is approx (5-6”) thick.
That really is a great view!

You really lucked out on the trenching for sure! A number of years back we had to run 500 feet of fibre cable to a sub station. There was a cement pad we had to go through and not just expecting it to be thicker than 4-8”.

Hours later we haven’t made a lot of progress in getting the conduit through. Than out of no where this old timer comes walking out and says to give up trying to dig under or cut the concrete.

Long story short, way back in the day that concrete pad was part of a military bunker So that bastard was more than six feet thick using one of the highest PSI media!

Beneath that was granite . . .

We must have blown two diamond cutting blades on that pad and used a jack hammer which barely nicked it!