Recommend a NVR that is compatible with Dahua

buddythacat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I had a lightning storm that took out all 7 of my 8 Dahua's (4-1320s bullets, 4-4421Cs) and I'm thinking of just going all 4421Cs unless I research further for the need of bullets over turrets. The NVR that recorded my video is an ION-16 NVR from Nelly's. Its okay...kind of clunky and the interface is kind of clunky since there isn't a way (or that I've found) to type my settings verses clicking with my mouse. In any case, I think I'm ready to move on to another NVR that works seamless with Dahua cameras. I just want something that will record, let me remote view, send me a snapshot of the motion tracked activity, and sit quietly in my closet running mindlessly. Any recommendations?

I already have an 8-poe prosafe switch, so I don't necessarily need the poe-nvr type but if it has it, then it will encourage me to expand to more cameras in the future so that would be okay also :)

Cheers

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 4216-4k and quite like it.. I hardly use the WebUI or TV Display and just use the apps on my workstations and phones.

I record 24/7 and dont have it sending me any emails, I use my home automation system to pull snapshots when alarm sensors are triggered (doors/windows/gates)

buddythacat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thats a perfect replacement, just the right price also.

What programs/apps do you use to get into the cameras live view? I like iDMSS lite so far, but if something can allow me to rewind/playback that would awesome.

Also, you mentioned the notifications from your house automation when triggers are made, are you referring to your home sending you a separate notification when someones triggered a point of entry or do you mean your camera is tied to home automation and sends it a trigger and then home sends you a notification? Sounds expensive but fun!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
iDMSS Pro will let you rewind and playback off the NVR.. the free iOS app wont let you do that.. I use SmartPSS on my Hackintosh to live view and manage recordings.

My home grabs a camera snapshot and emails it to me any time someone triggers a point of entry, since I have a camera at each point of entry.. it works pretty damn well.

buddythacat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nice I like SmartPSS but had no idea you could manage the nvr from it. The trigger/home automation sounds like an awesome setup! I have the lite version on iOS of the iDMSS so that explains my woes!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
SmartPSS becomes alot more useful once you hook it up to an NVR instead of a camera.. I am especially fond of the instant playback feature, as something often catches my eye late at night and I can quickly replay it without changing my display all up and digging through the recordings.

I have it on a dedicated monitor here @ my workstation, so I always have a live view and can click around on my PTZ's.. Dedicated Displays can help a ton, it sucks when someone steals shit from you and you were awake and in the next room blissfully unaware of what was going on.. At full screen the audio output from my front door camera comes out my computer speakers, late at night I will hear foot prints long before someone comes walking down the sidewalk.. and I use it to haze coyotes around here, now they really avoid my house while my neighbors report regular sightings.

my only wish is SmartPSS had a hotkey system to let me send PTZ's to presets, but I managed to obtain this using a few simple AppleScript's tied to universal hotkeys.. now with the flick of a button I can change my ptz preset regardless what I am doing on the computer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got 4208-4K-P (I think) for my sister. Very impressed with it compared to Hikvision.

Would 100% recommend 4216-4K if you already have a PoE switch.

GuitarKin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
SmartPSS becomes alot more useful once you hook it up to an NVR instead of a camera.. I am especially fond of the instant playback feature, as something often catches my eye late at night and I can quickly replay it without changing my display all up and digging through the recordings.

I have it on a dedicated monitor here @ my workstation, so I always have a live view and can click around on my PTZ's.. Dedicated Displays can help a ton, it sucks when someone steals shit from you and you were awake and in the next room blissfully unaware of what was going on.. At full screen the audio output from my front door camera comes out my computer speakers, late at night I will hear foot prints long before someone comes walking down the sidewalk.. and I use it to haze coyotes around here, now they really avoid my house while my neighbors report regular sightings.

my only wish is SmartPSS had a hotkey system to let me send PTZ's to presets, but I managed to obtain this using a few simple AppleScript's tied to universal hotkeys.. now with the flick of a button I can change my ptz preset regardless what I am doing on the computer.
I have mac too. I noticed that SmartPSS not working with h.265 camera codecs. Is there any updates coming for this h.265 support? PC version did work with h.265.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
not yet, been waiting for a mac update all year to add IVS support.. hope it comes soon, I been checking every month or so.

buddythacat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I must have looked at the wrong one, due to cost. Do you have a recommendation for a Dahua NVR that is almost like the 4216-4K, just a tad bit cheaper? I don't think I will be going past 3mp MAYBE 4mp.

buddythacat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Awesome! I have seen this one but never knew if it was the one I was referred to, price is great!

Scarrz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score