Recommend a wifi6 access point

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm looking to buy a WiFi6 AP to upgrade from my old Cisco 3702i AP (which only supports 802.11ac wave1). Primarily to use as an AP to bridge to my LAN. I don't need routing/NATing, but if it has it, that's fine. I need about 4 Ethernet ports. I have not kept up with the latest tech.

Looking to get higher density for my WiFi6 endpoints.

Note: this will not be used for cameras.

Any recommendations?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have been using Ubiquity with good results.

Only downside, they take a little to set them up. Once you do one, it's easy.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I used some older Ubiquiti Unifi AP's (UAP-LR-US) about 3 years ago, once set up with the controller software they could run without the controller; is that true of the one you linked?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I don't see multiple Ethernet ports on these. I need it to have a mini-switch built-in. I know my Cisco 3702i doesn't have multiple Ethernet ports, but I need them on this new AP because where I will be using this has a requirement to plug in a couple devices. This AP will be running on a standalone network and not connected to the Internet.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't seen or heard of very many AP's with a built-in 4 port switch; you may just have to find a suitable WiFi6 router, turn off/disable DHCP, and assign it a static LAN IP, thereby turning it into an wireless AP with a built-in 4 port switch.

Some WiFi routers allows have a "AP" mode which essentially performs the aforementioned configuration.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I just ordered a AP 6 Lite from Unifi. For only $99 from their webstore that seems like a pretty good deal but no built-in switch. Expect to pay a lot more for an AP that has a built in switch. I have a dozen of their APs running in various buildings and I've not ever had them give me any problems over the years.

Last edited:

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I need it to have a mini-switch built-in.

There is a new at wall (they call it in wall?) unit.

on the downside you will have a bit worser wifi range, because they are quite small, you have to mount them near floor (if you want to use lan switch) ...

you can combine them all.. so if you need only lan ports at one place, you can use the in wall device there, and on other places the cheaper (better range) devices...

most of the accesspoint dont have a built in switch, because they are designed to ceiling mounting...

some zyxel devices have better range than ubiquiti and another lan port, but they have a higher price... the lan port is to connect them together ... not for connecting devices to it. but it should work...
see

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I haven't seen or heard of very many AP's with a built-in 4 port switch; you may just have to find a suitable WiFi6 router, turn off/disable DHCP, and assign it a static LAN IP, thereby turning it into an wireless AP with a built-in 4 port switch.

Some WiFi routers allows have a "AP" mode which essentially performs the aforementioned configuration.
It's fine if it's a router. Which one though? Lots out there from netgear, zyxel, asus, tplink, etc.

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is a new at wall (they call it in wall?) unit.

That's kinda cool but looking for 802.11ax

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
You can always use a small switch before the wireless access point. Ubiquity offers some "mini switches" that work really well. While I don't use Ubiquity routers/firewall or large switches, I have several of these smaller switches around my house (one in the office and one behind the Den TV). They work really well. Personally I would choose this option before choosing a "all in one" router/switch/AP, but that is because I have semi-professional devices for all these functions and enjoy the added flexibility that it adds. An "All in One" device isn't wrong to use, but it's not as flexible and could also be more expensive than an AP device and switch.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Personally I would choose this option before choosing a "all in one" router/switch/AP, but that is because I have semi-professional devices for all these functions and enjoy the added flexibility that it adds. An "All in One" device isn't wrong to use, but it's not as flexible and could also be more expensive than an AP device and switch.
Any recommendations/links regarding an "AP device", possibly one that is WiFi6 ?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
The most common "DIY" Wifi6 ones are probably the Ubiquity (Wifi 6 lite) or TP-Link offerings (EAP 620 HD or 660 HD). Of course there are also more "professional" grade devices from Cisco, Aruba, and others.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a Unifi AP 6 Lite due to be delivered tomorrow (Access Point WiFi 6 Lite). For $99 it seems like a no brainer. I really want to dump all my Unifi gear as I hate their controller and routers, but there is nothing else in this price ballpark so I'll continue to use them for APs only. Cisco, Peplink, Aruba, etc.. will be $300+ for a similar model.

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I should have clarified further in my original post. My use case is for a temporary ad-hoc network that is not necessarily connected the Internet. My current setup is a Cisco 3702i AP (running in autonomous mode) with Cisco 3560cx compact switch. I'd like to replace this with a single 802.11ax device. It doesn't have to be enterprise gear like my current setup (actually, I prefer it to be under $250). Currently looking at the asus rt-ax86u or go cheaper with the tp-link archer ax50, but still deciding if I want to keep my options open by keeping my separate managed L3 switch.

The Unifi AP 6 Lite looks interesting. I know that I would have to keep using my separate switch if I go with this option. Question: with the Unifi AP 6 Lite, I use the free controller software to set it up, but I don't need the controller software after setup, right? Only need the controller for making changes, right? It's basically a front-end for managing the device?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
The Unifi AP 6 Lite looks interesting. I know that I would have to keep using my separate switch if I go with this option. Question: with the Unifi AP 6 Lite, I use the free controller software to set it up, but I don't need the controller software after setup, right? Only need the controller for making changes, right? It's basically a front-end for managing the device?
Correct. Just need the controller for initial setup. I have two installations running without a controller. One has been running for 7 years without one!

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Correct. Just need the controller for initial setup. I have two installations running without a controller. One has been running for 7 years without one!
Perfect, that's what I want. When I think of a WiFi controller, I think of Cisco/Aruba which has a true controller. The Unifi controller sounds more like a "configuration tool" - which is perfect.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure about the AP 6 versions but with the previous APs you didn't even need the controller to do the setup. You could use their phone app to do a basic standalone install. So even easier if that's all that you need.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure about the AP 6 versions but with the previous APs you didn't even need the controller to do the setup. You could use their phone app to do a basic standalone install. So even easier if that's all that you need.
Just to clarify using the smart application was considered as a Controller. If someone used the PC version or hardware stick both of them would cry out this device is already being managed by X.

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks like the AP 6 Lite also supports VLANs (which is what I currently use with my Ciscos). That put me over the fence but as I was about to place the order, it looks like it's sold out. Guess I have to wait a couple of weeks.