recommend brand and model

Hans007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi
I have been search the net and viewed a lot of youtube clips on this topic and as you all may know, the more you read the more confusing it gets.
I therefor need some experts help. :)
Im looking for some middle class turret cameres (4-6 pcs) to for home use. they will be connected to Blue Iris (thats the plan).
The cameras will mounted on eaves, where 2 of them will pointing towards the driveway with minimum street light (but planing on adding my own) the rest will mounted again on the eaves and will be used for survey the house and garden, i have both garden light but also street light here.
any help or guidance on what to look for brand/model, because when read, it then looks like Hikvision and Dahua is the biggest players on the market, and with a lot of different models so its hard to really understand what is good and what is not. and also the question is, how is their price compared to what you get and other small or non-branded players.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The two models below use image sensors that are pretty much the best bang for the
buck when it comes to low-light performance. It’s rare to find other manufactures using these sensors.

IMO the 5442 turrets are great where you have an area that works well with one of the fixed lens options (2.8, 3.6, 6). You can use the IPVM Calculator tool to see how those lenses work from your eaves. If you need a tighter shot than 6mm and want to stay with turrets, the varifocal 3241 camera is probably your next best bet.

The forum has an awesome vendor (@EMPIRETECANDY) that resells Dahua OEM from their international lineup which is worth calling out as Dahua’s US subsidiary doesn’t offer many off the popular models available in the international lineup.

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal

Hans007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The two models below use image sensors that are pretty much the best bang for the
buck when it comes to low-light performance. It’s rare to find other manufactures using these sensors.

IMO the 5442 turrets are great where you have an area that works well with one of the fixed lens options (2.8, 3.6, 6). You can use the IPVM Calculator tool to see how those lenses work from your eaves. If you need a tighter shot than 6mm and want to stay with turrets, the varifocal 3241 camera is probably your next best bet.

The forum has an awesome vendor (@EMPIRETECANDY) that resells Dahua OEM from their international lineup which is worth calling out as Dahua’s US subsidiary doesn’t offer many off the popular models available in the international lineup.

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal
Thank you very much for those two cameras, but as i can see they are b/w at night, which camera should i go with if i also want color at night?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 5442 turret has a "-LED" model that's billed as "Full Color" because it has two LEDs that emit enough light to guarantee that the camera stays in color mode when it's dark out. I don't care for this model -- to me, the LEDs are reallllly bright and it makes the camera look like a flood light. Also just a quick heads up that if you ever manually turn off the LEDs when it's dark, the camera will switch to B/W mode automatically. You can override it (i.e. force it to stay in color mode with no LEDs when it's dark outside) but that usually causes a big hit in terms of picture quality, especially when something is moving.