Recommend doorbell camera for new installation?

Craig Conrad

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We just bought a vacation home. It has no doorbell at all, so I want to install a video doorbell with following features:
  1. See floor to 7'
  2. 1080p or better
  3. Two way audio
  4. Powered or POE (not battery)
  5. Chime in the house, of course
  6. ONVIF
  7. Work with BI
  8. Alert to phone when someone rings bell, or movement sensed
  9. Prefer ethernet as opposed to wireless
  10. Budget up to about $300, with no monthly subscription costs
Thank you in advance for any advice.

Austinl

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m still learning myself but I don’t think a camera fits all your wishes yet. I’m thinking ds-kd8003-ime fits most of your requests. I’m just starting out myself and want about the same thing your looking for. Hopefully someone can chime in and confirm or correct my claim.

Last edited:

Craig Conrad

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m still learning myself but I don’t think a camera fits all your wishes yet. I’m thinking ds-kd8003-ime fits most of your requests. I’m just starting out myself and want about the same thing your looking for. Hopefully someone can chime in and confirm or correct my claim.
Thanks for the response and suggestion. I'm struggling with finding a general description of how it all works. I can see data sheets on various "video door bells", but it would be helpful to see a more friendly "here is what this product does, and how it provides chime, remote alerts, real-time monitoring, what power & cables it needs, etc" ... Perhaps I'm missing the simple "how to" videos, but it seems that everyone has to be an integrator instead of simply an end user wanting a product that meets their needs. :(

Craig Conrad

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you ... I'll check it out! [I probably don't really *need* full HD for a doorbell video]
I have another (FullHD cam pointed at my door), but that VTO is a neat thing, people think it films when you ring, but I got it hooked up to my NVR so it's already recording 24/7. When I look back at footage, you often hear people synchronising their storyline before they ring the bell. But sneaky as we are, we hear EVERYTHING! *evil laugh*

:rofl:

What is more important: that cam has a good excuse to be installed at eye-height, so you always have nice front-facial footage.

Hope this helps!
CC

PS. these VTO also exist in keycard, fingerprint and other nice versions. they also can relay to open electric door/fences.

Austinl

n3wb
Reaction score

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We just bought a vacation home. It has no doorbell at all, so I want to install a video doorbell with following features:
  1. See floor to 7'
  2. 1080p or better
  3. Two way audio
  4. Powered or POE (not battery)
  5. Chime in the house, of course
  6. ONVIF
  7. Work with BI
  8. Alert to phone when someone rings bell, or movement sensed
  9. Prefer ethernet as opposed to wireless
  10. Budget up to about $300, with no monthly subscription costs
Thank you in advance for any advice.
Most of the "doorbell" cams are not ready for prime time.
A lot of folks like to use this small cam mounted at 5ft beside the door with a 2.8mm lens.
You mention BI, if you use the BI app as well, then you don't need a push button, just setup BI to alert you to someone at the door via motion alerts.
IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua Technology

Craig Conrad

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Most of the "doorbell" cams are not ready for prime time.
You mention BI, if you use the BI app as well, then you don't need a push button, just setup BI to alert you to someone at the door via motion alerts.
IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua Technology
Yes, I could simply count on BI to alert when someone passes the doorway. However, this entry door is midway on a long deck porch that leads from the roadside to the back of the house. There will be *many* times people legitimately pass this door (and create movement in the camera's view), without intention of requesting entry by ringing a doorbell. I don't want all these false alerts.

RazzMtazz

n3wb
Reaction score
These are the options I'm considering:

DB11 (although it has a problem of ringing 10 times for everyone not fixed yet)

skybell hd (just for ease of install/use)

US $72.99 15% OFF|IP Video Intercom 4G Video Door Phone Ring Door Bell Doorbell WiFi Camera Alarm Wireless Security SD Card Camera add 32GB Card-in Video Intercom from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group (because its so cheap and has rfid tags for door unlock)

[Review] VTO2000A & VTH1550CH & VTNS1060A Intercom Kit (someone said there are new versions)

New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera (from the review this seems pretty good, also same model is made by hikvision EZVIZ DB1 and DB2(batter version) )

Last edited: