Recommendation for a ptz camera for fish farm

Eran

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I wish to install some static ptz cameras around our fish farm (we have 8 large fish ponds) to automatically scan the surface (360) and alert me once a flock of birds has arrived to the ponds, I am targeting massive flocks of cormorants & pelicans, not just few, can someone please recommend such PTZ based solution for me? We have about 230 acres.

I saw some highly recommended Dahua ptz, I am looking for one that has an auto scanning mode (switching from multiple presets?)

Thanks,

Eran

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
How far away from the camera position to your fish ponds? This have to calculate the nightvision distance.

Eran

n3wb
Reaction score
Since our fish ponds are spread arround the farm as a matrix - Each camera will be positioned at the corner of 4 fish ponds, each fish pond is about 40 acres.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You want a continious scan over 360 degrees, each pond a preset, and than loop throug the presets ?

I have only experience with a hikvision. Ptz (5220 modell) and that can only setup one absolute area for cross line, or enter/leave area. That does not move along when you pan, so it gets out of the picture with pan and than does not detect anything.

Perhaps more advanced modells can have a detection pattern setup on every preset.

40 acres seems large, if i convert to metric it is 16 hectare, or 400x400 meters.
You could also look into some advanced detectors that could span that distance/area and steer the ptz to that pond when an alarm is there.

But other members have much more experience than i have, so they could have better idea's.

edit: After some thought, perhaps use fixed camera for each pond and do motion detect alert on movement above that pond and than steer PTZ to that sector based on that alarm.
You could only monitor the PTZ image after an alarm, this than should be at the sector there is alarm.

I see one big advantage there: The issue will be finding your intruders on each of the 4 ptz's which all loop through 4 presets in a loop. This would save you from looking at changing image of the PTZ's all the time. And only look when image changes (and alarm bell rung or something)

If you can detect large number of birds that way I am not sure. Basic motion detect also likes shades of clouds etc. And perhaps when water is moving by wind (little waves perhaps on that large surface) you could also have motion alert.

Last edited: