Recommendation for a small wired camera to supplement doorbell

tech191

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been looking for a unicorn and have given up: a good doorbell that supports RTSP/Onvif. I've been using the Ezviz one for almost 2 years and I'm tired of it (I choose to avoid a rant). So I'll probably try a Eufy but it doesn't change the fact that it still doesn't support RSTP which is BS.

Anyway, I want to add a small (eye pleasing) camera, not much larger than a doorbell in the same general area (the covered entryway that leads to the front door) and place it at a similar height as a doorbell - basically I want to capture the faces of those coming to my door. I have a motion triggered bright light there, so low light will never be an issue. So the constraints are: small/pretty (so I remain married), RTSP, wired, good enough image quality. It doesn't have to be smart, it doesn't have to have fancy features (I have 8 soon to be 11 cameras covering my property thanks to this forum). Does such a device exist?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

tech191

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not the prettiest thing for where I'd put it but I'll try to convince my wife...maybe buy her flowers first :) I was hoping for something a tad smaller but it is what it is.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Many of us use the dual lens camera (AKA booby cam LOL) as you can point one at the entry way and another down to see packages.

The dual lens cam looks very interesting for the front door solution.

I was thinking for another application, installing it at the corner of the house, under the eaves. I can point to two different angles of the house. Do both streams show as two separate cameras or only one, and you have to select the stream manually?
I was planning on installing two separate cameras for this need but if this cam can do the same, then it would a big benefit.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@xmfan - yes, that is what I do as well. They are great overview cams and if the house is configured a certain way, you can use one cam to point down two different sides of the house.

It shows up as two different cameras in a VMS system like Blue Iris or an NVR.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@xmfan - yes, that is what I do as well. They are great overview cams and if the house is configured a certain way, you can use one cam to point down two different sides of the house.

It shows up as two different cameras in a VMS system like Blue Iris or an NVR.
woooohoooooo !!!
thank you for that confirmation. I can see using this badboy at each corner of the house.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The only problem with this style camera outdoors is that it is a dome camera. The dome gets dirty, rain collects on it (droplets) and the dome eventually fogs over from UV. Then there's the potential problem of reflect IR light at night. Proceed with caution when choosing and placing this style camera.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The only problem with this style camera outdoors is that it is a dome camera. The dome gets dirty, rain collects on it (droplets) and the dome eventually fogs over from UV. Then there's the potential problem of reflect IR light at night. Proceed with caution when choosing and placing this style camera.
Thank you, @sebastiantombs
That is a good nugget of info to know. I would install it under eaves so from rain perspetives, I 'think' i would be OK. However, due to UV, I can see the dome getting foggy over time.

@wittaj - Just wondering, how long have your had yours installed and have you faced the dome getting foggy over time?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have had mine for two years. No issues (yet).

The fogging over is like headlights - some cars do and some don't.

I figure by the time they fog over I would want a replacement anyway.

But mine is on the eave "protected" and only the occasional rain pattern will put some drops on it.

But since it is an overview camera, I am not too concerned about the typical issues with domes, IR, etc. In fact I run them in color since they are overview and wouldn't be able to IDENTIFY at that distance anyway and that eliminates the IR problem.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes. I experieced the same. I have two vehicles. One, the headlights really fogged up. The other, crystal clear. Based on some of the reviews I read on amazon, the water damage is discussed more than foggy lens. Glad that they are working good for you, @wittaj
You are right, in the right location/application, they would serve to be a good option.

The way I'm seeing it, I can considergetting 2MP starlight turrets, install them back to back (in my use case), this means running two cables (versus one). From cost perspectives, it would be about the same as this dual cam unit. From 'bulk' persectives, the single cam install would look much nicer but with two, you would get infinite flexibility.
As for me....this is a new install, cables have yet to run so...its a toss up. If I'm going to run one (and one spare), I can just as easy run two. I'll have to take a closer look and evaluate if this cam would be the best fit or installing two separate cams makes the best sense. :p