recommendation for an inexpensive (~50 USD) ONVIF/RTSP friendly wifi IP camera for apartment

Reaction score
I've checked around this forum and many folks are asking about, or recommending, legit home security systems that need PoE or hardwiring or other complex setups. I don't need/want anything that robust.

I see Amazon is filled with inexpensive IP cameras. Some comments claim they do or do not support ONVIF/RTSP. I wanted to see if folks had recommendations here.

• 1080p
  • pan + tilt
  • night vision
  • tracking is a plus
I want ONVIF/RTSP support so I can **eventually** install software on my Linux home lab/server to record/save the videos. For now I just need/want to be able to access them from my phone (LAN or WAN).

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You did not state for indoor or outdoor use; if indoors:

I suggest you consider the Amcrest IP2M-841 (re-branded Dahua) . It's ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p, IR, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, wired or wireless and has alarm in/out, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Available in white, black or silver for under $60.

I have installed it and it's lower-res cousin (720p) , the IPM-721 at 5 locations in 3 years with no hiccups. It runs about $48,

EDIT 4/1/21: V3 of the IP2M-841 does NOT provide relay I/O nor jacks for an external mic and speaker.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you! This is very helpful. The website doesn't say if it it supports automatic tracking. I assume that means it can't but thought I'd check with you first?
No, it does not, neither the 841 or 721.
Not sure if auto-track is available on these small cams; if so, I doubt it costs less than $60.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I see cheap ones on Amazon that do but then they don't say if they support ONVIF or RTSP which is more important to me. I suspect even if they do support, it isn't documented and would be a PITA to figure out.

https://www.amazon.com/YI-Wireless-Security-Surveillance-Auto-Cruise/dp/B01CW4BN5M/
Hi @Anchal Nigam

If you do not find references that a camera supports ONVIF, rtsp - then I would recommend not purchasing it.

There's a lot of crappy products sold on Amazon, so definitely only go with vendors and products which members recommend.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Hi @Anchal Nigam

If you do not find references that a camera supports ONVIF, rtsp - then I would recommend not purchasing it.

There's a lot of crappy products sold on Amazon, so definitely only go with vendors and products which members recommend.
Agreed. I will only get what folks here recommend and/or I can confirm it supports ONVIF/RTSP. If nobody else has any recommendations I will get that Amcrest one.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Follow @TonyR suggestions.
Auto tracking is a gimmick, and does not typically work well, if at all.

IMHO, Amazon and Ebay are NOT the places to be researching cameras. Lots of scams and pure garbage on both.