Recommendation for wireless outdoor camera?

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Mornin' all.

I was wondering if members might have a recommendation for a wireless outdoor camera.

Background: I have to replace our camera on our dock. The setting is less than 100 ft away from 2.4 & 5GHz router. We use a Dahua NVR. Have AC power at location. Need 2mp or so resolution.

I believe the NVR works with ONVIF (NVR5XXX-4KS2). All other cameras are Dahua starlight 2mp.

Thank you for any ideas.

M

Andy recommended a Dahua SD1A203T-GN-W. I have no experience with that one...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use a Ubiquiti nano station to create a link, you won't be happy with the Wifi from a cam.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well may go that route. We can watch Hulu TV wirelessly on dock without issue. The camera we had was 8 fps or so and was 2mp. I like what I see about the SD1A203T-GN-(W) but I would have to be mounted vertically and sun rising will be an issue. I have a couple extra IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras. Are you saying that I could hook up a Ubiquiti nano station at the dock and attach the HDW5231 camera to that and setup the other station on the porch to a port on the wireless router? And the result would be the same as the other 10 HDW Dahua POE cameras on the network. My NVR does have 16 ports. If so that may be the best way to go.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well may go that route. We can watch Hulu TV wirelessly on dock without issue. The camera we had was 8 fps or so and was 2mp. I like what I see about the SD1A203T-GN-(W) but I would have to be mounted vertically and sun rising will be an issue. I have a couple extra IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras. Are you saying that I could hook up a Ubiquiti nano station at the dock and attach the HDW5231 camera to that and setup the other station on the porch to a port on the wireless router? And the result would be the same as the other 10 HDW Dahua POE cameras on the network. My NVR does have 16 ports. If so that may be the best way to go.
Yes, watching Hulu over Wi-Fi and streaming video security cameras is two different animals, not a comparison. You would not want to mount that PTZ vertical as it would defeat the whole purpose of having a ptz.

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Setup complete. I used one of my IPC-HDW5331R-ZE Cameras. Very happy with the LocoM2 pack cameras. Getting a full 300mbs link and only using 10mbs over Ubiquiti network for camera. Camera is 160ft away on dock. Now if I could only make a camera alarm when there is fish over 2ft in the green underwater lights at night...

Thank you Looney2ns for sugguestion.

M

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Now you can watch Hulu and your security cameras at the dock without problems!

Wonder if motion detection would detect fish? If it would I might have to add a camera to tackle box.:D

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Setup complete. I used one of my IPC-HDW5331R-ZE Cameras. Very happy with the LocoM2 pack cameras. Getting a full 300mbs link and only using 10mbs over Ubiquiti network for camera. Camera is 160ft away on dock. Now if I could only make a camera alarm when there is fish over 2ft in the green underwater lights at night...

Thank you Looney2ns for sugguestion.

M
Just noticed fat fingers. HDW5231R-ZE camera. Sorry...

M