Recommendations: 1 Camera, 24/7 recording to SD/PC or reliable motion detection from 25-35 feet

yus

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys

DIY & camera Noob here, need to watch over my cars from a bedroom window. The distance from the window to the end of my driveway is approx 25-35 feet

Was thinking of mounting a camera onto my outside bedroom window sill as the property is rented and I don't have a ladder. Plus someone has already drilled a hole through the window surround so I can run a cable through it if necessary

Don't want to spend megabucks, maybe around $100/£80 max on the camera. Don't mind a wireless battery powered one or a wired model that I can store video onto an SD card or to a normal computer without too much hassle

Thanks in advance

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
most inexpensive cameras (even expensive models as well) rely on internal sensors (CMOS) to detect motion. You will get, especially at the 25~35 FT range, mostly false alarms, if any. If the idea is to notify you of a burglary, better consider an alarm system for your car. Removing the alarm-detection section from the camera, Dahua offers units with internal memory card for 24/7 recording.

Reactions: yus

yus

n3wb
Reaction score
most inexpensive cameras (even expensive models as well) rely on internal sensors (CMOS) to detect motion. You will get, especially at the 25~35 FT range, mostly false alarms, if any. If the idea is to notify you of a burglary, better consider an alarm system for your car. Removing the alarm-detection section from the camera, Dahua offers units with internal memory card for 24/7 recording.
Thanks for the reply

It's mainly to monitor the cars as we've had people driving into the cars when maneouvering. Not too bothered about false alarms as long as it records when and if someone gets close to the cars. Will switch off alerts and let it record. Also for burglars yes.

Will have a look at the dahua cams with memory card integration cheers

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
probably the most difficult motion detection would be during nighttime, specially if there is not enough light surrounding your vehicles. It would be more expensive than your proposed budget, but check the Dahua Lite Series with Starlight technology. At a higher price range, there is even a new Smart Motion Detection (SMD) feature, like model N53AB52 (included a link for you to familiarize with the spec's). Keep safe!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

It's mainly to monitor the cars as we've had people driving into the cars when maneouvering. Not too bothered about false alarms as long as it records when and if someone gets close to the cars. Will switch off alerts and let it record. Also for burglars yes.

Will have a look at the dahua cams with memory card integration cheers
Save your money. If you dont to it right all you will have is a video of a human breaking into your car. Useless.