Recommendations for 180 degree coverage security camera

kontech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm looking to source four security cameras to be mounted on the outside walls (four quadrants) of the building to provide 24/7 coverage of the sidewalk/street along the building. The primary goal is to capture any slip & fall incidents to protect the owners against frivolous litigation.
Night vision is important but not critical as there's city lighting always available.
Would you recommend a single camera covering 180° area along the wall/sidewalk or go with a dual encoder camera? The length of each side is 200ft. It needs to be compatible with exacqVision NVR.
Looking to spend a few hundred per camera.
Thank you

.2021-03-16_15-23-07.png

Last edited:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
180 degrees FOV cameras do exist.
Videos I've found on the web:

The first video shows that these are to be treated as "observing" cameras. There's not much detail you can get out of that image

Other idea is for a multi sensor panoramic camera. You could make this switch to one video or buy to separate cameras and point them out from the same place:
cam02.PNG
Cameras with two imaging devices do exist, but I think you're better off buying two separate cameras and placing them next to each other.
1615964216312.png
Each camera sensor can be moved to look in each direction.
There's also Dahua's version of this two sensor camera.

Or a 180 camera with more imaging sensors!
1615964250433.png

--> I've heard it might not be a good idea to use a camera with two sensors in it, e.g if the unit breaks then you've lost both cameras at once. Same concept for network issue, both lost at once.

Otherwise go for standard cameras at each corner:
cam01.PNG

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I once compared bi-lenses domes with 2 single lens domes, huge difference. On the other hand, I personally like to overwatch the "other" cam with another cam (especially in crowded areas). It does require overlapping FOVs, but you get much closer viewing points:

1615979359786.png

According to the size of the cars, you are spanning almost 25 meters of paveyard, so if you want to have close-ups, you'll need more cams.

kontech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The caveat is that we won't be able to mount the cameras at the corners because of cabling restrictions there. Cameras will have to go on the façade and we have some flexibility on elevation, can go as high as the 3rd floor, although not necessary.
That said I'm inclined to go with dual sensor cameras pointing to each direction with some overlap between cameras. Client suggested a camera with a third sensor pointing down to get full coverage. That might be an overkill plus I'm not sure those exist and quad cameras would be a waste. Given the restrictions, Client don't want multiple bullets.
Between cameras with two sensors combined with proper elevation we should get the optimal coverage under the circumstances.
Now, can someone recommend specific models you've had good experience with?

2021-03-16_15-23-07.2.png

Attachments

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score