Recommendations for a 24 Port POE Switch

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am actively looking at the Netgear FS728TPv2 switch. It is one of the few switches that I have found that has all 24 ports support POE and has a power budget (195W) that has a chance at running 24 POE devices. Most switches that I have seen fail in one of two ways:

1) They don't have all 24 ports capable of supporting POE.
2) Their power budgets are way too small (100W) to have 20 + devices running simultaneously.

Are there other switches in the market that compete directly with this Netgear one? As an answer to my own question, I am also looking at the Netgear GS728TPP. It is a POE+ equivalent of the FS728TP. All 24 ports are POE+ capable and the power budget is more than twice as big. Not only that, but all 24 ports are gigabit rather than 10/100. Of course it is more expensive and I am trying to decide if it is worth the money.

PS - This is the best page I have found from any vendor that really lays out the differences between the various POE offerings they have.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want a good deal, I suggest you search ebay. You'll find a wide variety of capable switches for under $100, used.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
For today's fixed cameras, you really don't need more than a ~200w power budget anyway, or gigabit ports for anything except the uplink. Although PoE+ is nice. I had to add a separate small PoE+ switch to my network for a PTZ I wanted to use.

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you want a good deal, I suggest you search ebay. You'll find a wide variety of capable switches for under $100, used.
Yeah that is exactly what I was doing. The problem is that a lot of the listings don't have the POE details in them. Even if they do, there is a very good chance they are wrong. I found myself spending more time researching individual switch specifications to make sure they had what I wanted. The vast majority of the time they didn't. I have tried many, many searches and they all return switches that have issues with (1) or (2) above.

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For today's fixed cameras, you really don't need more than a ~200w power budget anyway, or gigabit ports for anything except the uplink. Although PoE+ is nice. I had to add a separate small PoE+ switch to my network for a PTZ I wanted to use.
Yup - I agree on both points. I was surprised though to find 24 port POE switches with a 100W total power budget.

In terms of POE+, it is a nice to have and am willing to pay a small premium for it, but so far the premium looks to be 100% or twice the cost of the POE unit which isn't worth it to me.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What kind of PTZ are you plan to use ?
I ordered a hikvision 5220 and that lists with 32 watt for POE. My D-Link switch does max out with 30 watt for 802.3at (POE+) for a single port.
My dealer advised me to buy a high power POE adapter and not use the poe switch since if you are in dark situatie with max ir and a PTZ action the 32 watts could overload/request the switch.

Since i rather not damage this PTZ i ordered a 60 watt POE ultra adapter.
This way i can use the rest of the power budget for the other POE cameras that do 5-7 watt.

Also i read somewhere that there is loss in cables for the power, so ever 10 meter adds some .44 watt (bottum of the wiki they speak of 4.4 watt for 100 meter) if that is working that way due to voltage loss.

Last edited by a moderator:

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What kind of PTZ are you plan to use ?
Well I don't actually have a PTZ lined up yet. I am trying to future proof my system within reason. I want to learn as I do, so I will buy a couple of cameras, install them, configure them, play with them, adjust them as needed and start again with some new cameras. I doubt a PTZ will be the first thing I do.

That is why I am willing to pay a small premium for POE+, but not twice as much or more.

I ordered a hikvision 5220 and that lists with 32 watt for POE. My D-Link switch does max out with 30 watt for 802.3at (POE+) for a single port.
My dealer advised me to buy a high power POE adapter and not use the poe switch since if you are in dark situatie with max ir and a PTZ action the 32 watts could overload/request the switch.

Since i rather not damage this PTZ i ordered a 60 watt POE ultra adapter.
This way i can use the rest of the power budget for the other POE cameras that do 5-7 watt.
Also i read somewhere that there is loss in cables for the power, so ever 10 meter adds some .44 watt (bottum of the wiki they speak of 4.4 watt for 100 meter) if that is working that way due to voltage loss.
The degradation of power over longer runs is good to know.

hunte88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have bought 3 month ago a TPLINK TL-SG3424P with 24 ports POE af/at standards and all gigabits. power budget 320 watt max. For now it seems a good switch. For the moment i am using it with 7 ipcamera, 6 hikvision DS-2CD2032F-I and 1 mini PTZ HUISUN HS-SCB405IP-V10-E .

With hikvision for 95 meters of lenght's cable (type cca cable ethernet shield or copper) there is no problem with these but with ptz huisun on 95 meters on cca ethernet cable, the power supply over ethernet work fine but there is no communication at network level. I have verified that the problem is the type of cable used. The cca cables sucks. If i use the same lenght cable but of copper, the huisun camera work.