Recommendations for a pain-free live view 1 or 2 camera setup

jds580s

n3wb
Reaction score
My parents came to me, knowing that I had installed a number of security cameras, and asked for recommendations.

What they are looking for is fairly basic. They don't need recording capability, just ability to access a live view remotely for one or two cameras in their home. That will allow them to check on their pet and give them confidence that the place hasn't flooded while they are away.

All the systems I've worked with or looked into for my own use have incorporated an NVRs, NASs, or video server like Blue Iris, and to be honest I'm not sure what would fill their need and not be overkill.

Do Hikvision/Dahua cams have any ability to be accessed remotely from a 1st or 3rd party phone app? If so, is that process fairly painless or does it require port forwarding and tinkering with router or camera security options to pull off?
Would I be better off suggesting a purpose built product more like the Nest Cam, Ring Stick Up Cam, or Logi Circle? If so does anyone have any experience/recommendations with those types of products?

Thanks!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua has a p2p option that requires no portforwarding and is fairly painless.. the last camera I bought has a QR code that if I scan w/the Mobile app it will connect.. presuming I enable p2p on the camera first.

its really piss poor security tho, I'd be weary about putting indoor cameras with this level of security..

jds580s

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, that seemed like a very viable solution.