Recommendations for a showy camera (maybe WIFI) or even a fake

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need a showy number for deterrance for a narrow corridor on the side of my house. Ideally I may need two because there is an obstruction. This is mainly for deterrance perhaps with a blinking light all night. There are sensor lights on that side of the house but I don't want anyone to even approach it if possible.

Unfortunately I don't have any POE lines on that side. I do have one in the front but have already installed the venerable 2231 which is not particularly showy. It is indicated by a red bump on my diagram below.

I considered one of the active deterrance models but will have to figure out the wiring if so.

Maybe a showy fake one may deter a potential intruder?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Here is the floor plan.

Attachments

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Running the wiring is almost always the most difficult part of any installation. But I'd still recommend a real camera, especially an active deterrence model if you really want to keep people away.

Either that, or something like this:

Someone else posted a link to some of those "motion activated sprinklers versus drunk public urinators" videos on here some time ago. Most entertaining!

You can get these motion activated sprinklers at home stores. Folks around here use them to keep the deer from munching their gardens, trees, shrubs, etc. Apparently they work well against drunks who feel compelled to relieve themselves on your property, too!

Now that's what I call "active deterrence".

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OMG those videos are hilarioius. I don't have a problem yet and I live in an extremely residential area. The front also has a gate but I don't want anyone to even think about approaching from that side. It is the most vulnerable side of the house IMO.

I will look into running a line..... Could me my most ambitious DIY project yet....

Will.I.Am

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you have power and a little room where the existing camera is, you could just fit a 4 port poe switch and cable any new cameras from there.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you have power and a little room where the existing camera is, you could just fit a 4 port poe switch and cable any new cameras from there.
Interesting idea but in Australia this would be illegal and would require electrician to get involved. It would probably cost $500 and I reckon running a line with a cabler might be slightly (but not significantly cheaper).

Thanks for you idea though!

Will.I.Am

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I mean fit a poe network switch and plug it in, then run new network cables back to it. Is that really something an electrician needs to do?

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
He is right. In Australia, it's illegal to do your own fixed home cabling. Any under-floor, in-wall or in-roof cabling must be done by a registered cabler. If you had to pay someone to do a drop you would expect to pay between $100-150 per drop.lol

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Generally, in the US, if this is YOUR single family dwelling, you can do both low voltage and high voltage wiring, etc. Depending on the particular jurisdiction, and for high voltage wiring, you may need to obtain a building permit, and you may need to have the proposed wiring job signed off on by the local electrical inspector or planning office, and then have an inspection once the wiring is done, but before it is hidden and "closed up".

But you can do the work yourself. It needs to meet current code, but you can do the job yourself.

If the structure is a commercial or public building or a rental property, apartment, etc., then this may require a licensed electrician.

Obviously, you should do a safe and code-compliant job even for low voltage wiring in your own personal residence. But being forced to hire a contractor to do any and all wiring seems extremely restrictive.

It smacks of something that a union lobbyist might have ramrodded through the legislature to drum up business for their clients. :)

Wow. I'm often reminded of how lucky I am to live where I do. :)

Will.I.Am

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bloody hell.
I can understand it for low voltage stuff like mains but not elv like cameras. Oh well, I suppose it keeps the professionals in a job lol.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Haha yes we live in a nanny state.

If anyone has suggestions for a wireless camera, I am all ears. Otherwise I will do something like this one

I think the red light would be a great addition. I can connect power via DC 3V if needed because I have a plug point near by. I can't be bothered changing batteries in it.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do wish my Dahua cameras have a blinking red light also. That would make it obvious. I am keen on the deterrence aspect of it.