Recommendations for trash bin surveillance

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looking for Recommendations for trash bin surveillance. The goal is to identify vehicles and license plates due to illegal dumping.

Currently, there is a foscam type camera mounted under the eve above the second story porch. I'd like to try to get a camera mounted over and above the meters but my main question is what kind of setup would be good for this situation?

I was thinking about going with a starlight PTZ setup to auto track with license plate mode enabled but I have no experience in these. I do have an SD52C230U-HNI I have been testing the auto track feature out on and it seems to work well. Any input from someone that has experience in this kind of setup would be greatly appreciated.

20171230_110609.jpg

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had this issue at my business back in the day. I always spent 30 seconds looking in the bag, and would come up with the offenders address.
That bag mysteriously appeared on the perps lawn the next morning. No more dumping from that address. :)

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Typically you will have to dedicate one cam to plate capture, use the current one as the overview.
LPR
So would you suggest a standard turret style starlight with variable zoom pointed toward the dumpster along with the current cam?
How bout a pole right next to the trash can with a dummy cam on top. 5 bucks says people stop using it illegally.
Good idea but the condo association wants names lol

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So would you suggest a standard turret style starlight with variable zoom pointed toward the dumpster along with the current cam?

Good idea but the condo association wants names lol
Please read the LPR threads for best advice. Capturing plates reliably is an art.

Last edited: