Recommended HDD for updating build

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding a computer I have to beef it up so I can run 6-10 cameras using Blue Iris on it. I was wondering if anyone has a computer running their surveillance. What kind of hard drive are you using for the storage and how big? I am planning on possibly a WD Purple but I'm not sure yet. I also think between 4 to 8TB. Recommendations? Thanks.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Has anyone used the seagate surveillance hdd. I can get a 6TB Seagate for 169 which is super but I haven't used Seagate drives for a long time. Just curious if anyone else has. The WD purple drives are 204 and 234. Thanks.

DWW0311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Has anyone used the seagate surveillance hdd. I can get a 6TB Seagate for 169 which is super but I haven't used Seagate drives for a long time. Just curious if anyone else has. The WD purple drives are 204 and 234. Thanks.
You need to be looking elsewhere for that drive - Amazon has them for $139.00 for 4TB all day long

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also, Amazon is striking out on a lot of things for me lately. It may show 139 but when you add tax they are charging for many of their items B&H and Newegg are much cheaper for me many times lately.

DWW0311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is a 4TB for 139. I'm talking a 6TB for 169 and the WD drives are 6TB too.
Understood. You said above that you were seeing WD Purple 4TB for $204. $139 beats $204 all day long

DWW0311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I never said 4TB. Everything I mentioned was about 6TB. Don't confuse me, I'm already out of my mind. :smash:

"I am planning on possibly a WD Purple but I'm not sure yet. I also think between 4 to 8TB"

I use a 4TB Purple for 8 cams, six of which are pushing H265. 6 @ 1080 / 15fps / H265 and 2 @ 720 / 15fps / H264. I can get between three and four weeks of retention out of that one (I offload to a NAS, so it never actually fills up). How long a time frame of recording are you planning to retain?

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, not in the paragraph where I started mentioning prices.

I said quit trying to confuse me. I'm already losing it. My mind is almost gone.

I will probably try to go with a 6TB at least. No, I may not need it yet, but maybe later.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had two bad Seagate drives in the past die, one being in a nvr. Since I went purple, zero problems. I'm biased and prefer them. Any drive can fail. Try the Seagate if it's a great deal. When it comes to drives its best to have a backup too to avoid down time. But only one brand hasn't failed me yet for years now- two in an nvr running 27/7 recording. The purples.