Recommended outdoor wifi Cameras

Reaction score
Well its pretty much impossible to add network cables to my house (switch is in middle of house) however it will be much easier to add a GPO from existing power cicuits.

So is there any suitable cameras that can sit on outside of house. Nothing to fancy

I do have a AC1200 wifi router that has its wifi turned off at moment (just using it for QoS services) before going into my AC1900 network. So will create a separate hidden network for it.

If i must run Ethernet i may as well just run a swann 1080p kit and run run BNC

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well its pretty much impossible to add network cables to my house (switch is in middle of house) however it will be much easier to add a GPO from existing power cicuits.

So is there any suitable cameras that can sit on outside of house. Nothing to fancy

I do have a AC1200 wifi router that has its wifi turned off at moment (just using it for QoS services) before going into my AC1900 network. So will create a separate hidden network for it.

If i must run Ethernet i may as well just run a swann 1080p kit and run run BNC
There is always a way to run ethernet. Hire someone if you cant do it your self.
Any camera can be made wifi using a wifi bridge.
If you dont understand the benefits of a good ip camera vs a swann "bnc" kit you have not done proper research.

Reaction score
Thats why im asking here. Im sure swann units serve the purpose but id much rather my own system not 6 generic cameras that preform "ok".

Im a lecky by trade, my house is a 2 story house that has been enclosed in underneath. There is no way to run cables as there is no cavitys (ceiling attached directly onto studs and boxed arround beams). I can hack and cut my ceiling but that will only get me so far as i have large steel beams that run the length of the house. In the ideal world id drop the ceiling 2-4" but then that would make in a unhabitable room.

Other option would be to get one cable into the roof run a PoE switch in there pull sheets off roof and drill down external wall cavity. But not really ideal either plus i have solar on my roof so may not even be able to remove the sheets i need.

I ran the current network system and it was very limited to were it can go. Plus the ammount of holes that required was crazy. But going to external walls would be impossible.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
can you use powerline/EoP units on your mains circuits?
That would give you networking over the mains wiring and you could locate one EoP at the switch, further units at the closest location to your camera position and run the network cable back to that. You might find PLA's that can provide PoE too tho they are few and more expensive.

While the Swann BNC kit may sound simple, you may then limit yourself for upgrading cameras later, whereas IP leaves you a wider choice of options both camera and NVR ends.