Recommended POE Switch

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi

Is there any specific POE switch that is recommended for use? If not, is there anything one should note when buying a POE switch.

Thanks

rgarjr

n3wb
Reaction score
For 5 Poe cameras u need an 8 port switch. Buffalo, TrendNET, D-Link, TP-Link, NetGear make good switches

Last edited by a moderator:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Just make sure that the switch has enough POE ports and a power budget sufficient to power all of the cameras. Many 8 port POE switches have 4 POE ports and 4 data-only ports. For instance, the 5 port switch dalepa recommended before knowing you had 5 cameras has 4 POE ports and one data port. Perfect for 4 cameras and the link back to the rest of your network but no good for you. You can get by with 5 cams by using a common 8 port POE switch that has 4 POE ports by adding a 48v POE injector after one of the data ports or powering one camera via 12v if it has a 12v dongle. We'll assume that your 5 cams run from POE (802.3af), not POE+ (802.3at), correct? Usually only big PTZs or cameras with heaters require POE+.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think you can go wrong with this switch, a part of the dlink line which @nayr pointed us to recently...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KJTZYK/ref=dra_a_rv_lb_hn_xx_P320_100?th=1

• Eight (8) 10/100/1000BASE-T PoE /PoE+ Ports
  • Two (2) Gigabit SFP Ports
  • Supports PoE and PoE+ (802.3af and 802.3at) with 78W PoE power budget
  • Supports 802.1Q VLAN, Auto Voice VLAN and Auto Surveillance VLAN
  • Advanced features include QoS, Bandwidth Limiting, Link Aggregation, Port Mirroring, Spanning Tree and IGMP Snooping
  • Security features include Access Control List (ACL), 802.1X / RADIUS, ARP Spoofing Prevention, and D-Link Safeguard Engine
  • Easily managed using intuitive GUI, D-Link Network Assistant Utility, D-View 7, Compact CLI or SNMP
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks for all the replies.

is there any specific brand that has a good reputation for switches? i know cisco is known for good quality equipment, but a quick search on google and the prices even for a basic one is quite high

so far i've looked at d-link and tp-link

also does the fact that it is managed/unmanaged make a difference when using them for cameras?

rgarjr

n3wb
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with the brands I mentioned before. I recently got a Buffalo 16-port PoE switch, works fine.