Recommended power supply for setup purposes?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Is there a convenient power supply from Amazon or the like to use with Hikvision cameras for purposes of configuration ?

In normal operation they will get POE from the NVR, but if I want to plug a cam into a laptop to poke around in its settings, I need to give them I think 12 V. I don't have a stand alone POE switch.

So either a stand alone supply with correct plug to mate the power connector or a pass through power injector for the network line would do.

What do you use? Several injectors are on Amazon but want a tried and true solution. Thanks!

Marc

PS my cam auto configured fine with the Hikvision NVR but thinking about adjusting some things directly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FrankMCN

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
12v DC supplies are pretty much the most common type, just check the output on any spares you have floating around.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
12v DC supplies are pretty much the most common type, just check the output on any spares you have floating around.
I've got a few. None has quite the right plug on it and rather than fuss with it I was just going to order something tried and true.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a 4 port POE switch that I use for setups. They are fairly inexpensive. Around $40. An injector is around $20. So for 2X the cost, you can power 4X the cameras!

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anything with a 12V 2A or greater with 2.1mm x 5.5mm plug should work. from Amazon

I just use a single POE injector, so i can connect it directly to my laptop (two devices on the subnet) for setup.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks all for the great input. I think I will buy one of these 4-port POE switches, which only costs a bit more than a single port injector.

BV-Tech 4 Port PoE+ Switch with 2 Ethernet Uplink and Extend Function – 60W – 802.3at + 1 High Power PoE Port

I like how it has a hi power port as well as other regular POE ports, plus two uplinks, for $37. Seems made for IPcams.

However, I recently found the sticky about plugging a laptop into the NVR and being able to hit the cam website configuration pages directly; this may alleviate the need to get a POE switch or power adapter completely for my current needs.

Learning so much from this awesome site. Thanks everyone.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.