Recycling

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I participate in this nonsense due to our City requirements. At least it saves me a trash bag by throwing the chit into the recycling bin. I don't throw loose junk into the garbage bins. Just another example of the mindless chit the lefties have us bending backwards for.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good article. Plastic recycling fell apart when China stopped accepting it. One of the biggest scams in the "recycling" game is the bottle "deposit" in California. Nobody gets that deposit back. You get SCRAP value back. It's a massive tax collected by the State.
One thing I must admit though, after having lived in CA for 29 years.....you sure didn't see aluminum cans on the side of the road there like you do here in AL, which offers no recyling value to aluminum cans (no money/tax/fee paid upon purchase).

Right now CA is paying $1.66/pound for CA aluminum cans. IMO, that's nothing to sneeze at if your household generates lots of qualifying cans (mostly soft drinks). Back when I was drinking a LOT of beer it was close to $.90/pound when I left in '04.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Other than pop and beer cans and bottles I don't recycle anything. I burn all my garbage, if it's trash it goes on my burn pile. Usually after a few months the glass and tin cans disappear.
Once a year when our landfill offers a free dump I take my loader and clean up the ashes and shit in my dump trailer and take that to the landfill.

I don't have time to sort and bring glass, tin cans etc somewhere to recycle. And I refuse to pay for trash service.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And I refuse to pay for trash service.
It seems you're taking care of what you're generating so it's not needed. Good for you!

There are few county gov't.-imposed rules here in this rural part of NW Alabama but about 12 years ago they began requiring that all properties with an erected living space pay for garbage collection. What was happening is that many of these lake homes on the local >21,000 acre lake are vacant most of the time and the owners only come on weekends and/or rent then out when they're not there. They wouldn't pay for garbage service because they didn't use it much. So when they or the renters left after their stay they'd take their garbage with them and throw it out here on the side of the road...seriously.

It WAS a big problem. Oh, we still have litterbugs that throw their wrappers and cans out the window but blatant throwing of one or more garbage bags packed full of wet garbage has all but disappeared.

It's a sad commentary when you can't get some folks to 'do the right thing' unless you penalize them.....I think it's because as time goes on more people don't have a clue what 'the right thing' is.... :confused:

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Its an extra nuisance, I sense that half of these recyclables go straight to the landfill. Just like Wall-E, just like Idiocracy. What's next?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They kill two birds with one stone. Compliance training and making money via kickbacks and budgets for these programs. At my office there have been a number of times when they failed to pick up the recycling... Two days later they pick it up and dump it in the same truck as the regular garbage because they know It goes to the same place.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Plastic recycling has always been a PR stunt by the chemical and petroleum lobbies to make people feel better about the amount of single use plastic they're using.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Place I used to work at a few years ago had all the recycle bins throughout the facility and the recycle paper bins at every single desk. The cafeteria had recycle bins for plastic, aluminum, paper and then just plain garbage. It was one of the VP's ideas to do that. All the order processors in the office thought they were doing the world a massive favor by separating their paper from garbage and would even scold people for not putting garbage in the correct bins. At night, when the janitors came through, everything (garbage, recycle, cafeteria garbage) got dumped into a big tote, taken to one of the loading docks and dumped into a trash compactor. Every bit of it went to the landfill. There was no recycling company. It was a VP power play.