Red Light on IP8M-T2499EW

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm just getting started with security cameras and have chosen the IP8M-T2499EW as my first camera. I have no clue what I'm doing and trying to read up about the functions and things that it can do. One thing that's a bit of a turn-off is that in pitch black, I can visibly see a red led/light on the front of the camera.

I thought that the nightvision/IR lights weren't visible to the naked eye. Is there a way to turn this light off but still keep the nightvision function? Thanks!

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
It will be visible if you want IR at Night, In your cam settings you might find a feature to turn it off. Study these forms before you buy another Camera.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm just getting started with security cameras and have chosen the IP8M-T2499EW as my first camera. I have no clue what I'm doing and trying to read up about the functions and things that it can do. One thing that's a bit of a turn-off is that in pitch black, I can visibly see a red led/light on the front of the camera.

I thought that the nightvision/IR lights weren't visible to the naked eye. Is there a way to turn this light off but still keep the nightvision function? Thanks!
Your camera has 850nm IR leds which will have dim red glow. To illiminate the red, try this.
Turn off your camera IR. Use an external 940nm IR illuminator like this one. It will provide less light than a similarly powered 850nm IR illuminator.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. When first starting out, it's almost information overload with everything to consider. Camera brands, who rebrands which cameras, mounts, styles, nvr's, etc. The cliff notes does a good job but maybe I just missed it.

I did know about the external IR illuminators but thought that it just made things brighter. I didn't know about the different wavelengths. For others researching this, here's a good like that explains it.