Reducing CPU dependency...

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was using Blue Iris to create the TimeStamp graphic overlays, because I really liked being able to chose location/size/font, etc...
In an effort to reduce CPU load, I recently configured all 6 of my IP cameras to produce their own TimeStamp overlays, and turned the ones in BI off.
Can't say that I like the ugly font that the camera generates, but I read that it would help reduce CPU load.

Also can't say that I see any difference... still hovering in the mid 30% of my Intel Core i5-2500k 3.30 GHz CPU system.
(Win-10, 16GB RAM)

I've set camera frame rates to 15 FPS on the main stream and 10 FPS on the sub stream.
I've lowered the Bit Rates on each camera, but still want to maintain decent image quality.

Are there other ways to make things easier on my processor?

Last edited by a moderator:

Warsaws

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is odd. This did lower my cpu usage a little.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Make sure you are using Direct to Disk recording. This is where the major reduction in CPU will be.

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have each cameras hardware acceleration set to "Yes (NoVPP)." I'm not sure if that particular setting is optimum... still reading up on that.

And I now have each camera recording "Direct-to-Disk". I have PLENTY of disk space. I just installed a 3TB WD Purple for this purpose.

I seem to be hovering around 28-30 percent of CPU, which I believe is reasonable.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
28-30% doesn't sound bad on your system. When VPP became available, it improved my CPU usage quite a bit and significantly increased the load on my GPU. No harm in testing it to see if you get any benefit. Be sure to turn on HA + VPP at Options>Camera (4th entry--requires restart) as well as in the camera settings for the cameras you want to add VPP.