Reducing Glare at Night

Jmbmichael

n3wb
Reaction score
I am streaming baseball games using a couple of EmpireTech (Dahua) cameras, one of which is zoomed in on the scoreboard and the picture is great during the day but at night the numbers on the scoreboard have so much glare they are pretty much unreadable. I haven't had a chance to play around with the settings at night yet but hoping you guys could point me in the right direction to reduce some of the glare. I'll attach a couple of examples and some of the available settings. Thanks for any assitance.

lightsoff.PNG

lightson.PNG

settings.PNG

exp.PNG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Take it off of auto/default settings. Those are set up to favor a bright static image.

Try manual shutter at like 1/120 shutter and gain at 50. And then simply adjust the shutter speed until you get what you want. The faster the shutter speed, the more light that is needed, so it will be a balance. You might have enough light to go even faster.

Move contrast 8 or so higher than brightness.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Assuming night settings are the same, try taking brightness down some and contrast up a little. Also can try Exposure Compensation a little lower. That may or may not get you there with the mode left at Auto.

If not, then try setting the mode to manual with a faster exposure and adjust brightness/contrast from there.

You can also try some of the backlight options to see if that may help.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It will only switch to night settings if you set that up in the schedule. Otherwise, it is probably simply switching from color to B/W based on available light. That is usually one of the biggest gripes about these types of cameras from Dahua is that the day/night doesn't work like we think and you usually have to force it to a day or night profile by setting up a day schedule and night schedule or use an API script on a computer.

I bet if you open up the camera GUI to the camera settings page at night, it will either show Day or General profile as what is being used.

What does it show under the Profile Management tab.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Doesn't look like it's switching. Probably set to auto and just staying in color with all of that light. Turn off the lights and it likely will go to B&W with IR. Probably should set up different profiles so you can tune exposure and all better for day/night

Jmbmichael

n3wb
Reaction score
The utility would be perfect, I had no idea about this. So on the cameras Profile Management I need to set it as Full Time (Day) and the utility will be able to make the day/night changes?
I've made some shutter and gain changes to the Night profile and will try to test this out in the next couple of day. Thanks for all of the input.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score