Refrigerator/freezer remote monitoring

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Perhaps less of a concern with the Shelly H&T sensor?

It is my understanding that the Shelly H&T sensor's CPU and Wifi module (ESP8266 ) are active only when temperature and/or humidity change by a threshold value. The rest of the time it "sleeps". This is necessary to avoid generating internal heat and confounding the measurements. (learn more).

It may also be why I experienced low battery life when using the sensor outdoors. I should have tried increasing the temperature and humidity thresholds (1 deg, 5% by default) so the device to not wake up so often.
Given my specific needs of accurate and historic tracking battery usage would be high. That immediately means an endless financial outlay for batteries never mind the time invested in the same. I can safely state having never changed a single battery (there isn't one in a 1-Wire) system.

I don't miss it and the things that come with it . . .

Ten years and counting and everything just works and haven't needed to touch a single end device. The only time I've had to was the for the soul purpose to dress things up / make it easier to service if required. As stated early on our environment is constantly bombarded with RFI / EMI and in this new life I'm trying to really limit that exposure.

I have dozens of RF devices already in and around the home so anything I add has to have lots of check boxes in place.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ambient Weather station.
3 of these addons.
Done
Or

Up to 7 of these can be added.

Alerts can be set through Ambientwether.net and the mobile app.
I use this exact setup for two freezers and a fridge, temp gets above 25 degrees, I get a text telling me which freezer it refers to.
Temp are displayed on the console and in the mobile app, and website.

Battery status is reported in the app and on the website.
Energizer Ultimate Lithium are still doing fine after 2.5 years.