Regular camera as door communication device

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm tired of doorbells!
I taught I should add regular camera, with 2 way audio.
and change my doorbell to smart thing so once someone ring the doorbell I can popup something on Home assistant or something.

But, how do I gain the same convenience of someone ringing the doorbell and I get notification that I can communicate directly with the person at the door ? is it possible ?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm tired of doorbells!
Assuming you're referring to video doorbells, which ones have you tried?
But, how do I gain the same convenience of someone ringing the doorbell and I get notification that I can communicate directly with the person at the door ? is it possible ?
What is your viewing/recording platform now....NVR? Blue Iris? another VMS?

Is this akin to your post in April?

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Assuming you're referring to video doorbells, which ones have you tried?
Yes. I had Hikvision 6003
What is your viewing/recording platform now....NVR? Blue Iris? another VMS?
Blueiris.

Is this akin to your post in April?
Oh crap
Forgot I've asked. Apologize for that.
Anyway, I have Amcrest IP2m
Its feel frigile and audio is indeed not that great.

Also, my question also ask about the convinience of direct answering door calls.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you read the thread about the Reolink doorbell? The Reolink cameras don't get much love on this forum but their video doorbell is well liked. I've got 2 of their Wi-Fi version (they also have a POE version) going over a year now and I am very happy with them. They both stream nicely to Blue Iris.

The 2 way audio doesn't work (at THIS time) with Blue Iris but it does with their smartphone app. Below is my install:

Last edited:

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you read the thread about the Reolink doorbell? The Reolink cameras don't get much love on this forum but their video doorbell is well liked. I've got 2 of their Wi-Fi version (they also have a POE version) going over a year now and I am very happy with them. They both stream nicely to Blue Iris.

The 2 way audio doesn't work (at THIS time) with Blue Iris but it does with their smartphone app. Below is my install:

Thanks. That's intersting.
Actually I was under the impression that Reolink is low quality vendor and I kind of passed those threads. Went through them now and it does seems like a legit option.
the POE is very appealing but I'm not sure I'm able to run RJ45 there. How stable do you find it over wifi ? my Hikvision 6003 wifi is not something to be proud with.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How stable do you find it over wifi ? my Hikvision 6003 wifi is not something to be proud with.
It has been reasonably stable, each of the 2 has a dedicated 5GHz AP connected. I don't consider either critical surveillance, as other cams view the side door and the front porch so short-term (< 15 second) drop-outs of low quantity (< 6 in 24 hours) are acceptable to me; I also cannot run CAT-5e cable because of brick veneer in both locations with no access from below (concrete slab) or above.