Remote acces Dahua NVR 4208

DWinters1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Last week i installed a Dahua 4208 NVR with 4 Dahua cams.
I downloaded the iDMMS plus app for the iPhone. Within the internal network the app works great. But on remote acces 4g it doesn’t work. So I openend some ports in the router.
When I acces the NVR with https it works,but not via the app.
When i type the wan adres it finds the NVR on 4g, but not via the app.

anybody an idea what I’m doing wrong?
I forwarded the internal ip adres to 443 and 37777.
Thanks for the help!
Remon

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Last week i installed a Dahua 4208 NVR with 4 Dahua cams.
I downloaded the iDMMS plus app for the iPhone. Within the internal network the app works great. But on remote acces 4g it doesn’t work. So I openend some ports in the router.
When I acces the NVR with https it works,but not via the app.
When i type the wan adres it finds the NVR on 4g, but not via the app.

anybody an idea what I’m doing wrong?
I forwarded the internal ip adres to 443 and 37777.
Thanks for the help!
Remon
Hi @DWinters1979, 1979 called and wanted its port forwards back ;-) Seriously, do us a favor and close these ports. Immediately. You putting your whole internal network, with your NAS (family pictures?), your IOT devices (Fridge), your domotica, your alarm system, .. at RISK. No excuses are valid in 2020 to apply such (vulnerable!) techniques.

If you have a VPN Server capable router, deploy this and you are up and running in 5 minutes in a protected and encrypted fashion. If you don't have such a router, it takes like $50 to acquire a raspberry pi or edgerouter X to deploy the same VPN Server.

Thank you!

Happy Camming!
CC

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Great, thanks for the reply.
But is the problem solved when I’m using an VPN in the router?
Yes, and this is the reason: if your NVR does work properly when you are "at home" on your wifi, a VPN tunnel simply drags your device - wherever you are (over 4g, wifi hotspot in McDo) - into your LAN. All "ports" are open, and it will work like you would be at home. So your initial questions are not relevant anymore.

Hope this helps!
CC

DWinters1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, and this is the reason: if your NVR does work properly when you are "at home" on your wifi, a VPN tunnel simply drags your device - wherever you are (over 4g, wifi hotspot in McDo) - into your LAN. All "ports" are open, and it will work like you would be at home. So your initial questions are not relevant anymore.

Hope this helps!
CC
Thanks m8
I’ll get it, hope the router from my mate supports VPN

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks m8
I’ll get it, hope the router from my mate supports VPN
And to make things even more complete: some routers do not have OOTB VPN service onboard (ASUS & Netgear for example do have them, Edgerouter X from Ubiquity has it but through command-line only), some others (like some Linksys) can get it when deploying openWRT/ddWRT firmwares onto it (at the cost of performance and warranty). But you already got the picture: everything is better than an open port through port forwarding!

Happy Camming!
CC

DWinters1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And to make things even more complete: some routers do not have OOTB VPN service onboard (ASUS & Netgear for example do have them, Edgerouter X from Ubiquity has it but through command-line only), some others (like some Linksys) can get it when deploying openWRT/ddWRT firmwares onto it (at the cost of performance and warranty). But you already got the picture: everything is better than an open port through port forwarding!

Happy Camming!
CC
The router from my friend doesn't support VPN.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score

DWinters1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh, and im using a Synology NAS for the cams and non of the cams are forwarded in my router, and I can see them on 4G.
Strange??
If your port forwards are still active, then it makes perfectly sense.

On a Synology NAS, one can easily deploy an OpenVPN server too, so you could watch your cams on your mobile through VPN.

The question whether you want this, is another debate.

If you have an Asus router, the Rmerlin Firmware carries the latest hotfixes and additional tooling for your ASUS.

Good luck!
CC

DWinters1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
On de Syno it works like a champ, only not on a Dahua NVR.
But i think that i have the solution for the remote viewing option