Remote Access by Web

beeatwork

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

New at this, looking for solutions and ideas to resolve not able to communicate with my NVR. I had both remote access working by Firefox browser and iPhone. For some reason the Web access doesn't connect any longer, but then iPhone has no problems in connecting. Nothing has been changed, what could be the issue with Web access? Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Beeatwork

woodsie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

New at this, looking for solutions and ideas to resolve not able to communicate with my NVR. I had both remote access working by Firefox browser and iPhone. For some reason the Web access doesn't connect any longer, but then iPhone has no problems in connecting. Nothing has been changed, what could be the issue with Web access? Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Beeatwork
How were you doing it when it worked? Port forwarding? VPN? HiDDNS?

The first thing that comes to mind is that the IP address of your internet connection changed and you have not put anything in place to make sure it gets automatically updated on whatever device is managing the connection to your NVR.

beeatwork

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Woodsie,

At first I went to hik-online and created & registered the device domain which went fine, I believe my access is thu HiDDNS using port 80. Should I delete that device domain and register it again? I also have opened the following three ports on my router 80, 554 & 8000. I must be getting these things confused! Thanks for the reply!!

beeatwork

woodsie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Woodsie,

At first I went to hik-online and created & registered the device domain which went fine, I believe my access is thu HiDDNS using port 80. Should I delete that device domain and register it again? I also have opened the following three ports on my router 80, 554 & 8000. I must be getting these things confused! Thanks for the reply!!

beeatwork
Unfortunately I don't know much about using HiDDNS so I'm probably not the best person to help you. I know that when I tried HiDDNS I did not need to open/forward any ports on my router. I don't know why it worked, but it did.

I just use DynDNS since I don't have a static IP and port forwarding on my router and ONLY for the Server Port (Default Port 8000) on my NVR so that I could access it with the Hikvision IVMS mobile and desktop applications.

The advice I got here was that it was unsafe to expose access to the Web GUI (Default Port 80) of your cameras/NVRs to the internet. As I'm understood the "safest" way to access the Web GUI remotely is through a VPN. With a VPN you can connect to your home network remotely and get on your NVR's Web GUI them the same way you do at home just by typing in the IP Address of the device in a web browser.

I hope someone smarter than my chimes in because I'm not confident that I'm doing things the "best" way. I only know that my way works and has been reliable for a couple years now.

Other than that, check your settings on your NVR, your router, your phone and HiDDNS closely as even one digit or letter being off in something like an IP address, serial number, username, or password can break your connection.