Remote access over the wan quit working the other day with a different set up.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I helped a friend set up his Blue Iris and cameras and got them all working well. He is not techie enough to use a VPN or anything like that and just wants to use the WAN route for remote access to his cameras.

I had Ui3 set up on my PC at my home and it was working well. Then he decided on a couple of changes he wanted to make. His ISP needed to switch out his modem because he upgraded his speed. And he is planning on getting a better router system so we had to add another switch to have enough ports for all of the equipment. We have not gotten the new router system yet, and we are still using the old one.
So, the first setup goes like this.
In comes the signal to the modem. From the modem, it goes to his router. From the router, it went to a Poe+ switch that ran the cameras and the BI server. We port forwarded his BI port and it all worked great on Ui3 remotely.

But now with the change.
Signal goes into the new modem. The modem goes to the router. The router goes into a new switch, which then goes into the other switch we started with that connects to the BI server and cameras.

Could the new switch be blocking it? Or do I need to port forward to that new switch and not the BI server? I have never had anything like this happen before. Kind of strange and I'm sure it is an easy fix. I could just run a direct connection from the router to the BI server and bypass the switches, but I've not had to do that before.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I found my problem. It was the Microsoft Defender Firewall. It was blocking access to it. I turned off the Defender Firewall and it now works. Bad idea? Well, I turned it back on allowed an app through the firewall. I then added BI to the private network. It now works.