Remote access via OpenVPN

tenohfive

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got BI running and remote access when not connected via WAN set up with OpenVPN - which my router supports. I just wanted to double check that I've got the settings correct so that I'm not using port forwarding (which given the security concerns I'd rather avoid.)

In Settings->Web server I've got 'Enable the HTTP web server on port: 81' enabled. Is that turning on port forwarding? When I turn this off, whether OpenVPN is running or not I can't connect from my phone so I presume it's necessary?

Second question and more general VPN related - when I've got OpenVPN running on my phone, is that funneling all phone data traffic through my home network? Does that offer the security of general VPN's around being able to use public wifi etc, or should I treat it purely as a means to an end for remote CCTV access?

Final question - whilst BI displays the correct time, the actual camera time stamp (it's a Dahua) seems to go out of the window. It keeps defaulting to GMT+8. Is there any way I can stop it defaulting to GMT+8 without leaving SmartPSS running all the time?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
You're not port forwarding port 81, just enabling communication on the port on your local LAN.

Open VPN, assuming that's what you're using, is pretty secure and the data transmitted is protected even on a public WiFi. Your device may still be open to hacks depending on the rest of your security on that device. Read the thread "VPN Primer for Noobs".

Set up Net Time on your BI server and set you cameras to time sync using that. Also, while you're at it, check the rest of the network settings in the camera to prevent it from "phoning home".

tenohfive

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply - that's good to know. I'm going to build a separate server once I know what minimum specs I need so I'll add Net Time then.

On the 'phoning home,' front - I've had a quick look through but can't see anything really obvious. Mobile streaming tick box is checked, other than that I couldn't see anything.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Keep in mind a camera does not need DNS access or any other access to the internet. It should also have a fixed IP address. UPnP is another thing to shut off along with anything else that, even, might try to communicate with the outside world.

Read the WiKi at the top of the page in the blue bar. Tons of very useful information there.